UnSharing HomeGroup Folders But Sharing Printer

Reaction score
I found it somewhat difficult to completely Unshare files and folders on my HomeGroup Network and still allow Printer sharing in Windows 7 (Home Premium).

Initial UnSharing still allowed files like those below to be viewed on other home network computers:
C:/Users/
{user x} (folder)
AppData (folder)
Default (folder
Public (folder)
desktop.ini (file)

Other computers on the home network could step through many levels of hiarchy in the AppData folder and appeared to have "Delete" access!!

To completely decouple the computers, I had to go through the following several different Sharing/Unsharing assignment locations, till I could completely break the linkage.

I would appreciate any clarifications or simplifications.

File UnShare Confusion on HomeGroup Network

There are several different Network Sharing/Protection assignment locations in Windows 7.
To prevent all sharing between computers on the Homegroup Network, but allow Printer Sharing:

1) Start->Control Panel ->Network and Sharing Center->Choose Homegroup and sharing options.
Uncheck sharing boxes that you don’t want to share. Save changes.

2) Start->Control Panel ->Network and Sharing Center->Choose Homegroup and sharing options->Change advanced sharing settings.
Click “Turn off Public folder sharing (people logged on to this computer can still access these folders)”.

3) Start->Control Panel ->Network and Sharing Center->Choose Homegroup and sharing options->Change advanced sharing settings.
Choose Media streaming options.
Click “Block All” button. Turn off. Click OK.
Anomaly Note: You have to close Control Panel and repeat all step 3 again for the change to take effect.

4) Open Windows Explorer.
a) Select “C:/”, select “Users” folder with single click, then click “Share with” in toolbar.
b) Select Advanced sharing.
Under Sharing tab, select Advanced Sharing. Uncheck box labeled “Share this folder”. Apply and close.

5) Open Windows Explorer.
Select “C:/Users/”, select all folders and files under "Users", then click “Share with” in toolbar, then click “Nobody”.

6) Verify success by going to other home network computer(s) and trying to access your files and folders. You should only be able to see there is a computer and not be able to see any folders of files.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Thanks for that detailed walkthrough!

Ask a Question