to downgrade or not to downgrade a users plea

Reaction score
alright guys. i can see your wails and complaints about win 7 and how you want your old systems back right?
please forgive me win 7 admins i do not feel as these poor people do about win 7 . and will stick happily with my copy thanks . i'm glad i did upgrade :)

but for all you win7 users out there who are obviously unhappy with the problems your faced with.... then grab out your old xp or vista disks and start reinstalling again.. but to do that you have no choice but to lose everything you have done so far. sadly.
you need to do a clean install from the disc and so.. in the friendly old win xp format we can format our disc and reinstall win xp wthout a problem
(or vista whichever you went with originally)

the key thing to reinstall is .. MAKE ABSOLUTELY sure your computer reads from your dvd reader drive first.. thats where you'll want to be to get started. after that follow the prompts and enjoy your copy of xp or vista.
But you HAVE to get your system to read the disc in your dvd reader FIRST because you'll need to boot from that.( you'll need to access your bios and make sure dvdreader is the first boot item listed)
.. but personally id use this as a last ditch effort.. because i'm liking win 7 so far and am wondering at others not so nice feelings about it.
i'm a fast learner and am learning as i go on how to fix win7 properly so i can help others like myself with these very issues.

before you go enacting this final death knell on win 7 .. please try to work with it a little more .. the compatibility settings are there to aid you in running what you need as well..
and theres less issues than xp or vista
LOL in fact its comparable to xp and forget vista (yes i'm a vista hater no offence meant)
but as i am a sworn xp user.. i had found win 7 remarkably easy to adapt to.

id had to switch beacause the windows updates were running constantly and i was having my system slow down too much as well. thats why i switched.
after installing win 7 the resource chewing that the wupdates did stopped and things run a lot better.
so before you kill 7 guys try it for a bit longer.. theres not THAT much of a difference
but if you really do want to switch back then the instructions are above. simply force your system to read the disk in the dvdreader first then away you go.

i apologise if ive offended several win7 users with this post.. but however sometimes we need to know such things ... older systems sometimes can't take win 7 . i know ..ive worked on one that crashed win 7 too.. and said friends going back to xp
and we got her started on the installation without a hitch
but conider this an all else fails deal. if you have tried everything else then do this..but id advise trying other solutions first before you downgrade

these guys here at the win 7 site are really handy with the right info if you take the time to look and you may even be spared a downgrade XD (hopefully)
just make sure youve got the hang of the right compatibility settings .. because those will crash out a system if improperly set.
(click on said icon of program > right click> properties> compatibility settings are listed beside the shortcuts tab choose your running os for that program and hit apply.. i usually use the change settings for all users feature thats available)

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Why in the world would anyone want to step backwards to XP, or even worse, Vista? True, XP is at this time the best selling OS of all time, but this is nearly 2010, not 2001, when XP was released. Technology has changed and is steadily moving forward. XP isn't in it's plans. The only reason that it's still being supported until 2014 is that XP carried Microsoft for so many years, attracted millions upon millions of users, and during the Vista years, XP kept Microsoft from possible bankruptcy. XP is a legacy OS, one that a lot of us will remember, including myself. I still have two XP Pro as well as Win 2K Pro systems. But the future is now, and if anyone is still holding hope that there will be a SP4 for XP, I'm sorry to tell you, it won't happen. By the time it's support ends, XP will have lived for 13 years. I doubt another OS will be supported that long again. Microsoft has done it out of gratitude, not because they had to. But to move on, Windows 7 was the most easy OS to learn for me. And Microsoft had better wholeheartedly support Windows 7, because this is it's best shot of regaining supremacy in the OS market. Vista put a bad taste in a lot of mouths, I know. Vista will be buried before XP will. Most Vista computers will run Windows 7 with little or no problem, so upgrading or a clean install won't be hard, and Vista will be dumped faster than XP will. Windows 7 is simply the best, no two ways about it. If you do a clean install or buy new, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
lol i DID say for to give win 7 a chance. but i have run into some systems that simply can't run it.. *sigh* sucks ..but true. however I'm preferreing the win 7 myself :)
i don't knock it :)
*bows* i certainly mean no disrespect :)

and i MOST certainly agree with you
win 7 IS the best.. and i'm a Vista Hater XD
(sorry you old vista fans but >.< )

lol nice touch about the even worse vista part XD ROFMFAO

my motive is more of a try everything before you do this action thing and encouraging fellow win 7 users to use the knowledge available from people like yourself and me cat :)

i would rather see them spared unnnecessary pain and have a happy and sweetly running copy of win 7

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There's no stepping down, in my opinion. I mean, what's the point in it. The world is moving forward, and so should we. Now I do understand that there are those, especially in business, whose printers and other equipment was made in the prime of the XP days. Those people may not have a choice but to run XP until either their equipment (expensive printers, etc.) break down or until the end of XP's support (April 2014, over 4 years away) occurs. Even then, the OS will survive for a while, but with that much time, people can prepare, not for Windows 7, but Windows 9RC, at least. But for most everyone else, there's no need to look back, once you've got Windows 7. It is the best OS that Microsoft or any other corporation (or outfit) has produced.

Reaction score
truthfully no agrument there. but if you have an ancient computer that is simply not able for win 7 *sigh* sometimes you try.. get the blue (or black) screen of death and will not work at all. mind you theres still older systems like 10-12 years old running xp
problem is win 7 can't run on them.'. I'd found that out the hard way.. not that we didn't try.. >.<

i wholeheartedly agree with you about your opinion don't get me wrong..:)
but.. like i said before this is the very last ditch omg it won't work at all no matter what i do step.
i STRONGLY encourage fellow users to explore the options of fixing the issue first and exhaust that route BEFORE you downgrade . you may NOT have to
after all cats right. we are in an ever developing world being with computers.
and i also happen to know for a fact poor win xp pro has regrettably become more of a resource hog because of uncontrollable wupdates running. so yes .if you can upgrade then PLEASE DO and try to give it a decent chance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi WyldBalckWolf

I thought that was well spoken. :)

I might would try Win7 on a P4 2.0GHz or greater but nothing less. Laptops are in my opinion a higher value because of the inability to run aero features. I would prefer not running Win7 if I had to disable aero effects. So in my opinion the graphics display is the biggest value in deciding to upgrade.

If Microsoft would change the way Win7 looks with the Aero features turned off, I might would change my mind. To me the windows are ugly as they were in Windows 98 without the aero features. Changing the colors of the window does not help either.

Reaction score
indeed .. nothing less than a p4 would run win 7 reasonably well.. and i totally agree with you. the old looks of windows were super lame..>.<
lol i usually used a program like tuneup utilities to switch the look.. XD
but i don't need to anymore :)
GODS i love win 7 XD

Ask a Question