SOLVED This is a real crock of s--t. M/S tech support

Reaction score
As I've not solved the odd spelling problem with my Outlook Express email program I hopped onto Microsofts website to see if there were any answers to be found.

I did not find anything but came across the link to their technical support where you can email them with your problem. I thought this would be okay till I saw that I wolud be charged $45 Aus for the privilege.

So they want me to pay them for nothing more then email advice for a problem I'm having with their product which I bought off them in the first place.... I don't think so.

They want me to use their product then they should not be so bloody money grubbing when a customer wants help.

If it was live phone support, then maybe I could understand but not just for an email.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Mychael - frustrating isn't it?

I don't know for what all other purposes you use Outlook Express for other than email.
If it was me I wouldn't use it, I would use the browser of my choice for my email.

What exactly is going on regarding the spelling? Just curious is all.

Have you looked for any 3rd party add-on or plug-in that might help?

Reaction score
Well I agree with you. Previously I was happily using Mozilla Thunderbird but when I had to do a restore of my system from scratch I got a later version of Thunderbird which does not seem to want to work very well.. I tried it a few times with no success, needed to get up and running with email again so OE seemed to be the logical choice.
It's sending and receiving mail ok, it's only with it's spell check that there is a problem. For some reason it wants to correct my English spelling mistakes with French words, even some words I have spelled correctly it wants to change to something French. It's not giving any other options in the drop down list other then French.
I'm using Office 2007 fine with no issues, it was suggested to me that they are linked somehow.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I hope you're able to find a solution. I don't know of one.

Have you tried a search online to see what's coming up about it?

Reaction score
Not online as such, might have to google it, the M/S site is like most things M/S not simple to navigate around but it's all I've tried so far.

Reaction score
Hey Mychael, isn't MS outlook express and old version of MS email program that is no longer being serviced. I'm not for sure about that but I remember hearing something about it. To be honest I thought it to be discontinued. Anyway, have you tried repairing it from the system restore disc's or the actual OS itself depending on how old you system is. You could also try uninstalling it and then reinstall it. Have you tried this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/oerepair.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378#XSLTH3126121123120121120120

Hope some of this helps.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
See if this will fix it for you. It is an english spell check for OE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It could maybe have something to do with the fact I'm not using IE as my browser, not sure. The help links seem to mainly work on the basis of using IE.
I tried the spelloe program before, it adds English to the list of languages in OE but does not actually change they way it spell checks.

I don't know about OE being unsupported anymore as I've never bothered with it in the past, it's still there as a download on the M/S site.

I guess I could just try Thunderbird again or maybe something completely different, I don't want to go to a web based email as I'd have to give everyone a new address.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Can I ask what you use for email provider at the moment?

Reaction score
As a provider. Over here use a company called iprimus. Been with them for years.
I assume you mean who is my internet provider. Do my entire internet account through them as well as VOIP.

Sending and receiving emails not the issue. Just this spell check thing in Outlook Express.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
No, I only asked because you alluded that switching to webmail would require a change of address, which is not always the case - especially if your address is at your own domain. However, if you're using your ISP's email (like papasmurf at primus.com.au or something) then it probably is not doable.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a hotmail account as a back but basically I use that to move across any emails i really need to hang on to.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Hmm well I did a bit of quick research and Microsoft's website (from what I glanced) suggested that when you upgrade to Office 2007, it removes the English dictionary used by Outlook Express 6. Which I guess makes it default to French? I don't know if this applies to you... Maybe you can find a way to copy it back somehow... Or do what MS wants you to do and switch to Windows Live Mail.

You can check out the thread I was looking at here.

Reaction score
If your in the market for an email program, here are some suggestions.

Windows live mail (from the window live essentials package)
Incredimail
MS Outlook 2007 (I use this one)

Here is a link to some others and reviews.

http://emailsoftwarepro.com/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have Office 2007, why not use Outlook (2007) instead of retired Outlook express?

Of course I probably know the answer since I support my brothers XP computer and even though I hooked up Outlook he keeps using Express instead. I don't think he has the French problem, maybe because it's on XP, don't know.

Ask a Question