System repair fail loop?

Reaction score
Hello all, I'll cut to the chase. My computer, a Windows 7 Pro, when turned on, will goninto a "System Repair" for 2-3 minutes, fail, give me an option to send a report, and tell me that when i click 'finish' the computer will shutdown. It first happend when i turned the computer off early in the morning (1:46ish A.M) an i thought it was just Malwarebytes doing it's thing, since I ran a scan 30 minutes earlier and didn't shut it down then, because I wanted to watch youtube videos a bit more. I didn't take the time to run a defragment, disk clean up, or a security check since I was too tired and didn't want to let the computer run while I slept. I woke up, system repair failed, gave me a few options I didn't notice the day before, and clicked restore to a previous point, which it couldn't do because i never made a system restore point before. Then i chose the check memory failiure option, which yielded nothing of note. Did a bit of reading, tried a solution someone suggested on a forume by someone with a fairly similar problem. Which was press F2 at boot up, and check the "boot up order" or something like that. Didn't even touch the one that was a jumble of letters and 0s, and changed CD/something to Driver something, which changed nothing. did more readig, which sounded really complicated, and decided to post my pronlem on a fhread myself.
Note that the malware scane detected some 20 or so malware related things and i believe 4 or so had 'key' as it's type, which i have no clue what those do. Note also that I have a loose understanding of computers but i can tell you my specs if needed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You computer creates Restore Points automatically so unless you did not allocate enough space, or ran software to remove them, it's possible malware has deleted them (not malwarebytes, I mean actual malware that Malwarebytes tries to remove)

So ...
Do you have a Windows 7 Installation DVD? If not then I suggest you use another, working, computer and download the W7 ISO and burn it onto a blank DVD. Be sure to get the version (Home Premium, Profession, or Ultimate) and bit-size (64 or 32-bit) that matches your damaged computer. W7 SP1-U ISO links. And if you need software that understands how to expand an ISO image and burn it to DVD then you may need to install IMGBurn on the working computer

While you are on the other computer I suggest you also download and burn a copy of Windows Defender Offline.

Now on your damaged computer ...
make sure it boots to the DVD first. This is normally done in the BIOS boot order, but some computers also allow you to hit a special key and override the boot order.

Boot to the Windows Defender DVD and allow it to run a full scan.

Then shut down and this time boot to the W7 DVD. Get to the Installation menu and run System Repair. Jump to 1:05 and watch the video to see how to run System Restore.

Let us know if your computer boots up after that.

Ask a Question