System freezes while LAN-connect

Reaction score
Hi there!

First off, sorry for any mistakes with my english :p

I used the search already, but couldn't find an thread similar to my problem, which is the following:

Since I have W7 installed, my computer freezes up to 5 minutes after one of the following "actions" happen:

- booting W7
- reconnecting my networkcard (activating the connection after deactivating it)
- manually rebooting the router
- booting out of the energy-save-mode

This doesn't happen when my router is making an 24hour reconnect (which takes 1sec).

I had 2 friends checking this case and tried it out at their work-stations. It looks like it's a problem with my router, since it worked at my friends well.

Here some stats, if you may need more info just let me know:

Router: Teledat Router 830
Mainboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. - G41M-ES2L (I had another one a week ago, the switching made no difference)
CPU: Intel Dual CPU E2160, Socket 775 LGA

Drivers are all up-to-date. Using a new Networkcard instead of the onboard one didn't change anything.

The router is kinda old, but I rather not buy a new one if there might be an fix for this problem :)

Little extra info, don't know if this might help - but it might make you laugh:
- With WindowsXP I never had this trouble.
- When I first updated to W7, I THINK (can't remember anymore) the freezing didn't happen, but then I wanted to install it again, since I had so many annoying left-overs from my old System.
So I got a little stupid and formatted my partition with an W98 CD, cause I remembered it always done a good job cleaning the whole system (yes yes, I know... don't rub salt in it, I lost all data I ever had on my backup partition -.-)

Anyways, thanks in advance!

Oh, and Happy Easter everyone! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Aiyoko - your English is great! :)

Does the problem happen if you boot in to Windows 7 safe mode? It seems odd that a faulty router could do this. However, if the network card has been swapped out and this still happens and the PC works when connected to other routers, it does seem like a probable cause.

Are you able to find any updated router firmware for the Teledat 830? It may be that there is a bug with the specific configuration you have.

Reaction score
Hello Ian :)

There is no new Firmware(update) available, already tried that :(

I tried to boot in the safe mode right now, but somehow my keyboard doesn't work when I have the menue to choose between normal or safe mode boot ._.

Any idea how I can force windows to start with safe mode? And if that's the case - Do I choose just the normal safe mode or the one "with networkconfiguration"
How about the, umm... diagnosis(?)mode in msconfig - but I read that it is abit different from the safe mode?

Reaction score
Hi Aiyoko - Welcome to w7forums

If I'm not mistaken this process will boot into safe mode.

Press "Windows Logo + R" .
Type "msconfig" in the run box.
Press "Enter".
Select the "Boot" tab.
Place a check in the "safe boot" checkbox.
Reboot your machine.

Ask a Question