Startup Repair Failing to Work

Reaction score
Here are my specs before I get started:
Dell
Inspiron INSP1440
Pentium(R) Dual-core CPU T4500 @2.30 GHz
Ram: 4.00 GB
64-bit

A couple of nights ago, I shut off my laptop. It was taking a while to shut off, the screen was blank but the backlight was still on, indicating that it was on. I closed the lid on it and went to sleep. I didn't really think anything of it, and I was also really tired so I didn't realize what I had done until I turned on my laptop and it failed to start. So, I load up startup repair. I run startup repair for more than 8 hours without it fixing anything, or even stopping. I also cannot use system restore as it says that I have to restart my computer and select an operating system. In addition, in the startup repair window it says unknown operating system. Any help would be appreciated. Since this laptop I'm using is not mine I will not be able to check this thread as often as I would like. So please email me at:
(e-mail address removed)

Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It may just be a corrupt boot loader. If you have an original W7 DVD then boot to that and when it gets to the install screen there should be a repair option in the lower corner (left corner I believe).

If you do not have a W7 DVD then you can download one on another computer and burn it to DVD. Links are HERE, be sure to get the same version and bit-size as you have now (NOTE: x86 = 32-bit, x64=64-bit).

Reaction score
I downloaded the w7 disc and even tried reinstalling windows, and it still doesn't work. I then called Dell tech support and did a diagnostic test and gave them a code. My hardrive has crashed, and my warranty is up. Is there anything I can do besides buying a new hardrive? I was thinking of installing linux mint, but of course that isn't working. Will an external hardrive work? Is it even worth it? Or should I just get a new hardrive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Install a new internal harddrive (takes like 5 min on a laptop or 30 minutes on a desktop (and 20 of that is figuring out how to open it w/o breaking something). I would suggest also buying an external to use as a backup volume but definitely yank the broken one and install a new one; check YouTube and you can probably find some easy-to-follow examples.

You'll have to reinstall the OS and all your programs to the new internal. Then if you get an external for back-up you should create an image to it of the nice clean install. Then if you have any data on CDs or whatever, restore that to the new internal. Then you use the external to regularly back-up your data. This way you are covered if this happens again.

Trying to install Linux Mint on a broken harddrive because W7 died is like trying to brown a bagel in a broken toaster because it won't make toast. Broken is broken and nothing will install on there.

Ask a Question