Boot BCD Error but can't load startup repair

Reaction score
My laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 wouldn't start the other day and gave me this message:
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
I've tried to get to the Startup Repair, but I can't get my laptop to boot from the repair cd (or a bootable USB made from the Digital River ISO file). It always gets to the blue splash screen with the white streaks (looks like light shining through a pool?) and will stay there for hours. I'm currently booted from a Ubuntu 12.10 from a USB drive. I am able to access all the files on my hard drive. Is there a way to manually replace the MBR or boot files while I'm booted up in Linux? What files (and where are they located) would I need to replace?

Thanks so much!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So does your hard drive have linux on it? because that will destroy the Windows boot and until linux is properly removed windows cannot repair the boot sector.

Reaction score
It doesn't have linux on it. I made a Ubuntu bootable USB and that is what I booted from when I couldn't get the Windows CD to work. It's not on the hard drive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was hoping somebody else would have an answer because I was stumped but I did recall one tiny thing that might be worth a try if you still haven't solved it ...

Boot from your Windows 7 DVD, select your language and then choose the repair option.
At the repair option you should choose the command prompt and use the command:
bootsect /nt60 C:
Then exit.

Try again to install from the DVD.

NOTE: Of course your DVDRom drive with the W7 DVD must be the first device in your boot order, it cannot try to boot the HD and fail first.

Reaction score
The biggest problem I'm having is that I CAN'T boot from the Windows CD, it won't load to the language screen, so I'm unable to get to the repair tools or the command prompt.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well maybe your ISO wasn't burned properly, did you burn it at low speed and with verify?

Reaction score
My laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 wouldn't start the other day and gave me this message:
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
I've tried to get to the Startup Repair, but I can't get my laptop to boot from the repair cd (or a bootable USB made from the Digital River ISO file). It always gets to the blue splash screen with the white streaks (looks like light shining through a pool?) and will stay there for hours. I'm currently booted from a Ubuntu 12.10 from a USB drive. I am able to access all the files on my hard drive. Is there a way to manually replace the MBR or boot files while I'm booted up in Linux? What files (and where are they located) would I need to replace?

Thanks so much!
I know this is an old post. I have a very similar prob, 0xc000000f
win boot manager. I posted full description earlier today.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Lionsmane, I just responded to your other post. Unfortunately, it is likely a hardware problem.

Ask a Question