SSD installed.

Reaction score
I hate to say that programs like Diskeeper are not at all needed for SSDs that feature the ATA TRIM command, which the Vertex 3 Series (and Vertex 2, and dozens of other SSDs) has.

The only time you would ever need to use a program like Diskeeper is to consolidate unused blocks on a pre-GC/trim SSD, one of the early first-gen consumer SSDs like the OCZ Apex.

I'm afraid you wasted your money. SSDs do not perform any faster or slower through fragmentation, because they already pretty much work at the speed of light.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do I need to worry about running Boot-time defrag or registry defrag on the Vertex 3? I've only run boot-time defrag on the 2 Caviar Black's. The HyperFast addon in Diskeeper shows Optimize option instead of Defragment option for the Vertex 3 in Diskeeper.
I apologize for the very late response. Defragging an SSD is a lot different that that of a HDD. I use PerfectDisk about once a month using it's "SSD Optimize" feature. I DO agree with Thrax in the fact that one truly does not need to defrag any modern SSD unit. I have a Vertex 2 and the only reason I do run PerfectDisk is because of my OCD / Anal Retentive nature about some things. I do use it regularly on my HDD units, actually it runs in the background when it needs to on the HDDs.

I refuse to use ANY product from Diskeeper because of mainly the fact that it's owned by a bunch of Scientologists. I won't get on my soapbox about Scientology too much except to say that L.Ron Hubbard was a shyster, huckster, conman, practiced the "black arts" and basically a blithering idiot. His followers are mean-spirited and evil. That's being kind too!

Reaction score
rjbelans: What should I move from (e-mail address removed) ?
One thing you might want to consider with using an SSD and folding. Since F@H does a lot of writing and deleting, it can reduce the life expectancy (time wise) of the SSD. It is recommended to have a separate HDD available for your folding stuff. The other drive can also be used for other things that don't require high-speed access as well (photo storage, etc.).

Reaction score
I've still got the 2 WD Caviar Black's that diskeeper handles. It also defrag's my external backup drive when it's on.
I hate to say that programs like Diskeeper are not at all needed for SSDs that feature the ATA TRIM command, which the Vertex 3 Series (and Vertex 2, and dozens of other SSDs) has.

The only time you would ever need to use a program like Diskeeper is to consolidate unused blocks on a pre-GC/trim SSD, one of the early first-gen consumer SSDs like the OCZ Apex.

I'm afraid you wasted your money. SSDs do not perform any faster or slower through fragmentation, because they already pretty much work at the speed of light.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
rjbelans: What should I move from f@h ?
I think he was saying to install the F@H program of choice to a non ssd drive. You get no noticeable difference in performance on a 3GB/sec to an ssd with the folding clients. But you do save wear and tear on the ssd if you move the program folder off to another HDD/partition.
Now, I use the GPU tracker program and you don't have to install that at all. It runs from the folder so you can put it on a thumb drive if you want to.
If and when I get an ssd hd it will be for the OS and programs I deem necessary to be on that drive. All data and non essential programs go on a traditional spinner drive.

Reaction score
Thanks yoday. I'm using the system tray version. None of the gpu versions appear to like AMD video cards. Not even the gpu beta version CC recommended a few months back. As far as the ssd. I only have 39 gbs. on it. I made one of my Caviar Black's a data drive and the one Windows 7 used to be on is pure entertainment. It's basically got all the WMP, WMC and saved games on it. If I've got 140 gb's. used between all 3 drive's, it's alot.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Not even the gpu beta version CC recommended a few months back.
Yes I understand about the Radeon cards, but you can run the single and multi-core cpu processor clients from the F@H GPU Tracker V2 program too, despite it's name. :)

Attachments

Reaction score
Yes yodap, that is what I was getting at about moving (e-mail address removed) off of the SSD.

For AMD GPUs, the best thing to use is the newest Stanford client, v7. The older ones work, but give much lower PPD.

Reaction score
Thrax: Diskeeper 2011 with HyperFast addon installed, also lets you tell it if a drive is a ssd . You then only get a Optimize option, not a Defragment option for that drive. I've tried Perfect Disk before and found Diskeeper to be faster with the same option. One difference I did notice between the 2 is that Diskeeper doesn't need to be scheduled for defragging drive's, it does it automatically in the background.

Reaction score
Optimize/defrag, same thing. The optimize feature in Diskeeper more or less consolidates blocks like defragging. It still doesn't do anything for SSDs.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Diskeeper doesn't need to be scheduled for defragging drive's, it does it automatically in the background.
PerfectDisk 12 has those same features also.

Ask a Question