Re-installing WIN7

Reaction score
But if you blow your motherboard, and in the process decide to buy a current motherboard, which then requires a new CPU, different RAM, and new PCIe graphics card since the old board was AGP, then no, you can't do that with an OEM license (or an upgrade from an OEM). You have to buy a new Windows license because you built a new computer.

Ummm, have you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your XP HW will even run it?
And that to me seems unfair, say you have a hardware failure out of warranty but not so bad you have to replace everything. You would not buy a new car just because you needed two new tyres and a set of wiper blades.

It wont fly, but will run it fine, some hardware might have issues but I just want to get a feel for the desktop and settings and things. No matter if not everyting works.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Mychael,

Go ahead and install it and run it, just don't activate it. You'll be fine.

That way like you said, you'll be able to get adjusted to the new OS.

I bet you little realized what controversy you started by asking the original question.

Also, just about everyone who had XP hardware were able to get Windows 7 to install and run okay. Some just didn't have the Aero graphics features.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And that to me seems unfair, say you have a hardware failure out of warranty but not so bad you have to replace everything. You would not buy a new car just because you needed two new tyres and a set of wiper blades.
Tires and wiper blades are normal wear and tear, hardly a hardware failure. I'm not going to buy a new computer or OS because my DVD player fails. Say you have a 10 year old car and you run into a wall and total the front end, including the motor. The transmission, rear-end and interior are just fine - now ask your question. That's the about the same thing as blowing an outdated motherboard.

I remind you too that I am talking about upgrading, not replacing with a like model.

I am not defending Microsoft, but as a hardware guy the "motherboard" is not called the "mother"board for nothing. I can swap out the CPU, RAM, drives, or the graphics card, and to me, it's still the same computer. Swap out the motherboard, and now that's a new computer.

And we have to remember the purpose of OEM software - it is so hardware makers (NOT Microsoft) can sell you software with their computers cheaper.
Also, just about everyone who had XP hardware were able to get Windows 7 to install and run okay. Some just didn't have the Aero graphics features.
I agree, most were. But many were unsuccessful. Windows 7 was designed to support current and future hardware. Hardware designed for XP was designed to support DOS era software and peripherials. If there are no Vista drivers for your hardware, be wary about installing Windows 7 on your system.

Another concern, IMO, is 64-bit - I see no reason for 32-bit anymore and so with Win7 built for today's hardware, I see no reason not to go 64-bit too - something an old XP machine may have difficulty with.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just checked my email this morning, and in my weekly Microsoft mailing, it was said that Microsoft has extended the trial period for Enterprise until the end of the year. That will be of great help to many, there's no longer an excuse not to try upgrading for a while. But when you go to download, a series of questions are asked, it's best to say you work in support, or whatever. I checked that I was an tech enthusiast, and the program said I didn't qualify. I don't understand what the difference makes.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Shoot I just told them I was a home computer user and an "ubergeek". No Issues! :pcguru:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I didn't fool with it anymore afterwards, I soon plan to dual boot Ultimate with what I have (Pro 64 bit), after I get my TechNet subscription. I don't really need Enterprise, anyway.

Ask a Question