problem installing Win7

Reaction score
hi guys, hope someone can help.

When i double click on the setup.exe file of windows 7 ( i want to do an upgrade not clean install) i get a black window flash up and disappear then nothing happens. I gave up on this idea and tried clean install. However once i pressed key to boot from dvd nothing happens, just freezes there. as you can probably tell im no expert so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mick

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mick, welcome to the forums :)

Is this a boxed retail version, or one you have bought online and then burnt to CD?

Reaction score
ill give that a go now, ill get back to you on that one currently burning at 1x cant get slower than that lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
ah, when i burned that time i got errors while verifying "miscompare at LBA:1027063 offset:1449, file:sources\install.wim device 0xfd total errors in sector 1" and quite a few others all in the install.wim file any ideas what could be causing that?

Reaction score
ok, so this time when i double click on setup.exe the black box lasts a little longer and a message like "program to big" etc appears, well, i have 150GB left to play with so whats that all about? I also just tried installing the win7 upgrade advisor from microsoft to see what that said, and that wont install either. Is my computer buggered?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's a problem with your download and/or burn. Can you try downloading it again and then burn on a different brand of DVD at the slowest speed? It may be worth doing this on another PC if your burner has problems.

Once you've done that, try doing a clean install :)

Reaction score
Install Problem

Two other things you can check are your DVD/CD drive and memory. If you have a spare drive try changing it to see if it corrects the errrors. I have had to change a DVD/CD drive and that has corrected the problem. With your memory if you have more than one stick remove all but one then try the install over, if it works then once the computer is up and running you can reinstall the rest of your mem.

Ask a Question