Programs Dont Work After Sleep/Hibernation

Reaction score
The Problem:
For a couple months now I've been dealing with an issue where every time my computer goes into sleep mode for more that like 5 minutes, when I wake it programs/applications such as Windows Mail, Netflix and some of my steam games are very choppy or just dont load at all. For example Mail opens, but i cant see any of my mail because it just comes up with the message box but it shows whats behind it -example: http://zyphox.com/mail.png as for netflix, i can go to the site, but then as soon as i go to load a movie it gets to 7% then it just goes black, doesn't matter if i refresh, use different browser or anything. Ive tested silver light and that still works on other sites but somethings going on with netflix. Games, they just are unresponsive and will only render like 100 frames and just keep looping through those frames for ever.

What Ive tried to do:

A while ago(month and a half?) I switched my Graphics card from an Nvidia 9800gt to a eVGA Geforce GTX 550ti and got a 600w power supply. (I thought the 9800gt broke, turns out its fine) I think this is relatively when these issues started happening. So yesterday I decided to put my 9800gt back in and hope it fixed the issue. Nope. About a month ago my hard drive went so I bought a new 2tb western digital black hard drive. This issue happened on both Hard drives, but the first hard drive was fine for 95% of its life. Because of these 2 tests, each with 2 different products it makes me believe the hd and graphics card are not the issue. Ive also upgraded from vista to win 7 ultimate and its happening on both OS's. Only other thing Ive done to my computer is go from a 300w Power Supply to a 600w one back when I switched Graphics card. Unfortunately I cut up the 300w one to test 12v devices with so its no longer capable to be put into a computer. I see no reason how this could affect this problem though. Personally the only thing i think makes sense is something to do with the graphics card, but it worked fine at one point with the 9800gt so im completely confuzzled.

I really hope i can get this all sorted out because its really an obnoxious little bug. Please though don't tell me to just turn sleep/hibernate mode off. Ive also noticed even if the monitor itself goes into power saving mode it will break too so its really random. If i wake it fast enough the issue doesnt occur sometimes. If you want more info on my computer, i always forget where to go to do the tests so if you could just tell me before yelling at me to post the computer specs, that would be nice. Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
One thing you mention is getting things on the internet becomes a problem. This could be your network adapter and is in fact a very common issue. You said you don't want to completely disable sleep but what you can do is go to Control Panel > Device Manager and, under Network adapters, double-click on your adapter to open it's properties; select the Power Management tab and make sure Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is NOT checked.

Reaction score
Netflix is the only "Online" thing that breaks. Gaming, even on single player gets messed up like i just tried playing Civ 5 but once the world loads all the units just flash and you cant move them or anything.i believe at one point i allowed it to turn off my network card because it wouldn't let my computer go into sleep mode.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some older computers don't sleep well. I suggest you try preventing the adapter from sleeping and see if it helps. If you don't want to try it, maybe some others will come along with more ideas.

Reaction score
Some older computers don't sleep well. I suggest you try preventing the adapter from sleeping and see if it helps. If you don't want to try it, maybe some others will come along with more ideas.
So i did what you said and when i woke up today after letting the computer go to sleep on its own, I tried netflix. It loaded to 100% then showed a little video, and then the screen went black... thanks for the idea though.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Screen went black? Do you have to turn it off and back on at this point or can you bring it back? For example, what happens when you hit ctrl+alt+del at this point?
Is you computer generating any BSOD logs? See: How to enable small memory dumps

You should make sure you have the latest graphics driver for whichever card you have installed and that all others have been uninstalled. Best way to do this is to download the latest driver and download & install driver sweeper then reboot into safe mode to remove the video drivers currently installed and install the one you downloaded.

I still suspect it is putting some component to sleep that doesn't like it. You can search your other devices in Control Panel > Device Manager and see what others have Power Options you can set to Not allow sleep (not all devices have the power options).

And you might go to Control Panel > Power Options and make sure it is set for High Performance rather than Balanced. It helps some issues but it would just be luck if it helped in this case.

Reaction score
I should have been more clear, not my entire screen black. I can still do most tasks, just some of my entertainment things don't work. Netflix when you load a video is a read screen that has the loading bar, half way through that disappears and the browser background goes black. Other sites still work. Does performance change other things than just when the monitor turns off and how long it takes to go to sleep? Ill try playing around with that stuff more.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Besides 600W PSU and 2TB HD, what are the specs on your computer? Make/model? RAM? which video card is in now? What version W7? 32 or 64bit?

Reaction score
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 940 55 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
MSI Aspen (Socket AM2 ) 56 °C
Graphics
DELL S2409W (1920x1080@60Hz)
DX-LCD19-09 (1440x900@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 9800 GT (ASUStek Computer Inc) 76 °C
Hard Drives
1465GB Western Digital WDC WD1502FAEX-007BA SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GBC-H20L SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Does the BIOS for that mobo properly support the Deneb? You might make sure that you have the latest BIOS.

Hopefully some others will come along with some ideas because I just don't know what else to suggest.

Ask a Question