"open with" in Win7 not working

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my 2c to this forum - I have experienced this problem for quite some time - I cannot use the 'Edit original' feature from Illustrator to open images into Photoshop.

I have not found a solution to this yet, but I do know I am not the only one encountering this issue. From my reading, I am led to believe that this is a Win7 bug that Microsft needs to fix, and soon!

Very, very frustrating - what Marcel has described is exactly my experience - you can pick the .exe application that the file should open with, but this program is never added to the list of programs for which to launch a specific file type, so you are never able to set it to open with your desired application.

For what it's worth, I am quite sure this has nothing to do with Adobe, as I was able to use the 'edit original' feauture from within the CS4 suite. Since un-installing CS4 and installing CS5, the 'edit orignal' functionality only ever launches images into MSPaint.

Trying to set the files to associate with Photoshop (or any other app for that matter) yields no results due to the bug in the file association dialog.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the same problem and finally figured it out today. You have to make a modification to the registry so that the "open with" command points to the correct executable (photoshop.exe). My troubles were because of an upgrade and teh "open with" command was still pointing to the old (uninstalled) version of photoshop.

Start Menu>Search>regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

Depending on whether you are running the 32 bit or 64 bit you will want to enter the correct directory of your photoshop.exe application. To do this right click on the "Default" file after navigating to the above location, click "modify" and enter the correct location of photoshop.exe. I am runnning the 64 bit version so the correct location for me was the following:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe"

Click "Ok" and close out of Registry Editor.

Right Click on any JPEG, BMP, etc. select "open with" and be happy to see photoshop sitting right there in the program list.

Reaction score
stads09 , you are a life saver :) Thank you so much for posting the solution to this infuriating problem. I've searched for many long hours and yours is the only suggestion that worked

Ask a Question