No cursor to type when I click on any box?

How to get a normal cursor when clicking over a box such as this one.

• I've had the same problem, and here's the fix.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never heard of such a thing, you're up the creek!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
When I put my cursor over any box such as one to type my first name in and I left click in that box, the box usually turns the black outline of the box from black to blue but no cursor appears inside the box and I can't type my first name or anything else inside the box because no cursor. When that happens, if I hold the cursor over the same box and right click there is a drop down window and the second thing from the bottom is "Select all" and occasionally when I left click on that then go left click on the original box where I wanted a cursor, sometimes, I will then get a cursor to begin typing but not always. If left clicking on "Select all" in the drop down box doesn't work, I usually then right click again in the box where I need a cursor and when I get the drop down window I left click on the bottom option that is "Inspect element". That brings up a black bar and a whole bunch of code I don't understand and I can't find anything in there about cursors appearing. If I then X out of the code window, "sometimes, but not always" when I go back to my original box and left click to get a cursor to type, I do get one, but more often, I don't, and I repeat the same procedure over, and over, until usually I eventually get a cursor and can type in the box. This is a recurrent problem for the past 2 weeks. I was using a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 at the time and had not had any problems with it. I had not changed any settings, hardware, or software before the problem started. I first tried six different mice of different brands both corded and cordless with updated drivers and still have the same problem. All my other drivers on the computer are up to date, and I get automatic updates from Windows, and I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and today I downloaded and scanned with Spybot and I still have the same problem. I've changed and rechanged every mouse setting under>control>mouse>every setting and combination of settings and I still can't get a normal cursor simply by left clicking on a box to fill it in like I normally do. Emails to Microsoft and Microsoft Support, and Microsoft Forums have given some suggestions like updating drivers etc. but nothing that made much sense, but I tried everything they suggested and nothing changed. Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know what I should try next to fix this very annoying problem? Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This most likely has to do with the driver for your mouse but if it only happens in a browser window then it can also be browser extras (add-ins, java, etc).

Since you said it only started two weeks ago I suggest you type System Restore in the windows start, search box and run system restore to a day prior to two weeks ago when this started.

Reaction score
As I said in my question ALL my drivers are up to date including some six different mice I tried. Windows 7 is updated frequently and several scans run regularly for viruses, and malware and rarely are any found. I also restored my system back to July 14, 2015 before this started and no help there either. I've done much more than usual to fix this. I've also used Chrome and see the same problem when using Chrome. One place it doesn't seem to happen is when I send an email with Windows Live Mail and I have to click in the "Subject" box, it seems to always give me a cursor in that box in the normal way after putting the cursor over the box and left clicking. I'm sending this email from a different computer at a different location. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

Ask a Question