Migwiz.exe is stopping my XP to Win 7 migration

Reaction score
I've been trying to migrate to a new Win 7 machine from an XP machine. Earlier this week I was able to transfer most/some settings from one machine to the other over a Network. Last night I noticed where some settings may have not transferred so I tried to reconnect the two machines again via a Network. Once at my old XP machine and after receiving the Network password/key, I'm not able to "eject" the USB drive that has the Win Easy Transfer on it. My CPU speed climbs to 100% and migwiz.exe is using most of that. I've let the machine run like that for up to two minutes this thinking it will stop and then let me remove the USB stick. It seems to not want to stop running migwiz.exe. Anyone got any ideas? I've formatted the USB stick and have started the whole process over from the beginning but that is not successful.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK I'm confused, are you trying to transfer the Windows Easy Transfer .MIG file by network or by USB? If your two computers are networked then there would be no reason to need a USB flash drive.

WET1.jpg

How much data did Windows Easy Transfer find to move?

WET2.jpg

How large is your Flash drive? And is it USB 2.0 or 3.0? Because USB 2 takes a lot longer to write to the flash drive.

Depending how much data you are trying to move, two minutes could be nothing. To transfer my default data would require at least one Terabit and it could take a very long time (hours) to compress all that into a single MIG file.

Bottom Line: If you already made the transfer and are only missing a small piece of your data, then I wouldn't recommend running the migration again, simply copy the missing folder over the network or via a flash drive.

Reaction score
I somewhat fixed this problem. I was trying to remove the USB drive from the old computer. :oops:

Perhaps you can answer the only other issue I have. Here goes.

On my XP machine I was doing everything under the Administrator profile...for years. I've come to understand that I shouldn't have been doing that. I've been able to transfer all of my wife's settings and profiles but I can't get my stuff and I guess it's because it's all in the Admin profile. How can I get all of those settings to my new machine? Can I set up another profile on the old machine and move them into this new profile?

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
You know that you could have simply Created a new administrator account and renamed the current account and also removed it's privileges.

Did you want to do that?

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, so if you are transferring setting/file etc from an administrator account on the XP box to the Win 7 box Administrator account, keep doing that until you have completed it.

Or another way of saying it, keep the same type of accounts on the Win 7 box that were on the Win XP box. If you were using Tom and it had Administrator privileges on the XP box make it the same on the Win 7 box until the transfers are complete.

Once that has happened, we can restrict, fix and rename the accounts.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would really like to see what Windows Easy Transfer shows on the WinXP side after it does the analysis. It may well be that it did in fact transfer your files. In W7 the main Admin account is hidden/disabled so I'm wondering if maybe your files did transfer already and they are under that account.

If you were to start the process again just to allow it to show the results of the analysis we could see exactly what accounts were transferred.

Could you please run the start of Windows Easy Transfer on the XP computer and take a screenshot like this:

Attachments

Reaction score
Ok, so if you are transferring setting/file etc from an administrator account on the XP box to the Win 7 box Administrator account, keep doing that until you have completed it.

Or another way of saying it, keep the same type of accounts on the Win 7 box that were on the Win XP box. If you were using Tom and it had Administrator privileges on the XP box make it the same on the Win 7 box until the transfers are complete.

Once that has happened, we can restrict, fix and rename the accounts.
Yes, I'll do that later today.

Reaction score
... It may well be that it did in fact transfer your files. In W7 the main Admin account is hidden/disabled so I'm wondering if maybe your files did transfer already and they are under that account.

...:[/QUOTE]

Could you describe how I could find out if these settings are there in the Win7 Admin account but are hidden?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On the new W7 computer, the data files would be under C:\users\admin\my downloads, C:\users\admin\my documents, C:\users\admin\my music, C:\users\admin\my pictures, & C:\users\admin\my videos, but the folders are probably hidden. So the easiest way to see what was transferred is to go back to the old XP machine and start to run the Windows Easy Transfer again; you don't actually perform the transfer but you let it run the analysis to show you the list of accounts and size of data for each. If it only shows just your wife's account and "shared" then it did not pull your files, but if Admin is also on the list then it got yours too.

Reaction score
On the new W7 computer, the data files would be under C:\users\admin\my downloads, C:\users\admin\my documents, C:\users\admin\my music, C:\users\admin\my pictures, & C:\users\admin\my videos, but the folders are probably hidden. So the easiest way to see what was transferred is to go back to the old XP machine and start to run the Windows Easy Transfer again; you don't actually perform the transfer but you let it run the analysis to show you the list of accounts and size of data for each. If it only shows just your wife's account and "shared" then it did not pull your files, but if Admin is also on the list then it got yours too.
Thank you. Good instructions that I can follow. I'll work on this later.

Ask a Question