Left 4 Dead free DLC

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's some free downloadable content coming to Left4Dead today on both the XBOX and PC:

As an update to the previously cited release date of April 21st, Valve has specified that the Left 4 Dead downloadable content will be made available for Xbox 360 users at roughly 2AM PST, with the PC version slated to be released later in the day. The free DLC pack will bring versus mode campaigns for “Death Toll” and “Dead Air”, as well as a new game option, “Survival Mode”.

Survival Mode is said to offer a faster-paced and shorter-lived gameplay to the traditional campaign by pitting players against increasingly frequent hordes of zombies on 12 specialized maps. During testing, Valve’s employees were unable to endure the action beyond 9 minutes, leaving them to surmise that the number of undead killed in a single round of Survival Mode often outnumbers an entire normal campaign.
You can read more about it here:
http://www.techspot.com/news/34364-left-4-dead-free-dlc-set-for-release-today.html

Should be a good addition to the game :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The update is now live, just load up Steam and L4D will update automatically:

The Left 4 Dead Survival Pack is now available for the PC and Xbox 360, free of charge to all owners of the game. The full change list for the PC release is below. In addition, both the retail and Steam versions of the game (PC and 360) are now available for a special price. Check Steam and local retailers for pricing details. For more information about L4D, please visit www.l4d.com

Survival Mode
  • New gameplay Mode
  • 16 maps including Last Stand
  • Leaderboards
  • 7 new achievements
Versus Changes

• 2 new versus campaigns
  • Fixed a case where versus team score would continue to be recalculated after the score panel was displayed
  • Fixed an issue with recalculating the versus score health bonus for a player when they are rescued from being incapacitated
  • Fixed being able to start a swing as an infected, then teleport to the survivors and have the claw swing hit a survivor
  • Fixed a case where teleporting to the survivors would not reset the ability timer
  • Fixed an exploit where you could load the chamber of a weapon with bullets by holding down the melee key
  • Fixed a case where it was not possible to join a game while it was in a finale
  • Fixed a rare case where listen servers would speed up the game over time
  • Removed convars related to melee fatigue
  • Fixed a case where infected players would get a respawn time on their initial spawn into a map
Server Changes

• Made ms_force_dedicated_server not require cheats
  • Add a message when queuing a heartbeat
  • Simplified setting of game mode
  • Removed convars director_no_human_zombies and director_holdout_mode
  • Added mp_gamemode [coop,versus,survival]
General

• Added lobby join and leave messages

Reaction score
Played a few rounds of the new content last night, and had a blast.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's such a fun game, especially with the new campaigns. :) I don't know if it's just a co-incidence, but I've been getting crap pings since this update. It's not lag where there is the occasional stutter, but it's like there's an extra 50ms delay after firing. Enough to hit a teammate rather than the hunter ripping chunks out of him. Probably just my connection playing up, but I'll try it again tonight and see if it does the same.

Reaction score
Lag hasn't been a problem for me. Try hosting a room and selecting a server to join when you are the leader to make sure you have good pings.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been playing this loads since my last post, and not had any lag issues since then. This game is so much fun :D It would be nice if they create a new full level though, as I'm sure everyone is used to the 4 main ones now.

What's the longest any of you have lasted on Survival mode? I've got to just under 9 mins on some of the maps, but it's insanely hard once you get hunters and tanks all coming at the same time. Once one of your team-mates has gone, the game finishes pretty quick!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a gamer, L4D happens to be one of my most often played titles. However, if you have Team Fortress 2 then there will be more free downloadable content coming out either today or tomorrow... the Spy update!

On Survivor mode I have either gold or silver for everything, but there are a few maps I'm 5 seconds to 25 seconds away from the gold but never quite managed to get it! I don't know what my longest time is, I think 12-14 minutes was it not counting a few times I was testing map exploits. Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few of those people are beginning to use. :(

You really need a cohesive, good team to make gold, that's for sure! And lots of luck, random chance is everything. The hospital elevator level is probably the easiest for living the longest. :)

Ask a Question