SOLVED Keyboard Craziness

Reaction score
Ok, I didn't know where to post this but here goes.

when i'm typing a text document like this, the keyboard functions fine. but when i go to sign into yahoo messenger, I type my username in and instead of letters, numbers appear. I find this happening when i am playing, well, now trying to play, games as well. I have updated to the most current driver for my keyboard, and even switched to my older keyboard from a prior build, but same issue... thinking software issue, not hardware... Any thoughts?... this is annoying as hell
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Tried updating the Firmware for the Keyboard and got a BSOD... The Infamous Driver_IRQL_ such and such

**Edit... logon works just fine on AIM, but with yahoo msnger and games, same issues... very strange issue

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try running Ccleaner. Download it from www.ccleaner.com. After it's installed, open it up and click on Registry on the left hand side. Click Scan for issues. Let it fix whatever it finds. Just make sure to create a folder named Ccleaner in your Documents folder. Point Ccleaner to that folder and let it make a backup of the registry before it removes anything. That's just a safety precaution. Restart your pc and see what happens. Did you disable your antivirus software before trying to update the keyboard ? Whenever updating driver's always disable your antivirus first, then restart your pc and reenable your antivirus software. That step is a must for any driver updates.

Reaction score
ok, did the CC cleaner registry cleanup, rebooted and tried again. No luck. when i type in the logon info, no matter what letter i push, it enters 0,1,2,3,etc in numerical order... i dunno what's going on... i will re-install the driver for the keyboard while disabling AV next and edit my post with the results...
Thanks

**Edit: No Joy.... still same issues are prevalent... any other suggestions?
I uninstalled the software for the keyboard, and disabled AV, then installed the software, rebooted, and same issue on games and yahoo msnger only... i dunno what is causing this issue... i mean, i'm typing from the same comp on this forum.

**Edit... Killed all RAZER software thinking that it might be the culprit and used the standard HID compliant keyboard windows driver, same issue. Not the hardware, not the software, then what is it?... frustrating... all of a sudden on certain apps, any letter key i press results in numbers, sequentially, being entered... no matter what letters i use. I have just entered one letter over and over again and i get a different number each time....
:bike:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try booting into Safe Mode. To do so, when you first turn on your pc, constantly press the F8 key repeatably. Scroll down to Safe Mode and hit enter. Once in Safe Mode type Command in the Start Menu's search box. Right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt window that opens type sfc /scannow and let that run by hitting the enter key. When that's done running type Exit and hit enter to exit the Command Prompt window. If that didn't solve anythingtry rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking. It's the same instructions as above for doing this, except choose Safe Mode With Networking. Now update your antivirus and antispyware software and run full scans with each. Let them remove any infection they find. Now while still in Safe Mode With Networking download Malwarebytes (free version) from www.malwarebytes.org. Install that, letit update itself and run a full scan with it. Let it remove whatever infections it finds. Now restrat your pc and see if things work properly. If they don't open Computer, right-click on C:\ drive, select Properties Tools and click the box that says Check Now below Error Checking. Put a check mark in both boxes and let Windows schedule Check Disk to run when you restart your pc. Restart your pc and take a 45 minute plus break. If you have a 200 TB. drive it roughly takes 45 minutes to run. A 1.0 TB. drive takes a little ove 3 hours. Try doing what you were trying to do now. If you still have problems, you most like need to reformat your hard drive and re-install Windows. P.S. Is Windows and your software updated ? If no update those first. That also, could be causing your issue.

Reaction score
booted in safe mode and safe mode with networking and did what you said... nothing
tried diskcheck on my system disk.... nothing.
Tried updating windows, update KB2518870, the framework fix is refusing to install after multiple attempts.
Other then than, same ole' stuff... sequential numbers where letters should be.... thing is, why would it only have issues on those programs?... my AIM works perfect, and i can compose text documents in word, wordpad, and notepad... sooo... i dunno

Reaction score
Try disabling your antivirus. Anything to do with NET Framework won't install if your antivirus is enabled. Disable it,install the update and restart your pc. Now after your pc is back in Windows, rerun Windows Update and if no updates are found, reenable your antivirus. Some updates from Microsoft won't install if your antivirus is enabled.

Reaction score
ok all updates are installed properly... i am still having the same issues when i use certain programs. Any suggestions? wipe and redo? if so, just wipe the OS disk? i have multiple disks on my rig for various storage necessities and no where to back them up... hopefully i won't have to wipe and redo EVERYTHING... ugh...
I will try doing a restore from a prior point and see if anything fixes itself, other than that, i am open to suggestions... .

Thanks

Reaction score
This ones a last ditch effort. Disbale your antivirus. Now click Start (Windows orb), type Device Manager in the search box and hit enter. In Device Manager click next to where it says Keyboard. Right-click on your keyboard that's listed and click on uninstall. Don't close Device Manager yet. Now click on Action and click on Scan for hardware changes. This will reinstall your keyboards driver. Close Device Manager and re-enable your Antivirus agin. Now try typing in a document. If that doesn't work, it's beyond my scope. It's weird nobody else has responded to you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have a gaming keyboard and I haven't done it but supposedly I can set up Profiles for different games etc. It makes me wonder if maybe you have something similar for your keyboard and it's using a different profile for certain apps? Something to maybe look into.

Reaction score
so at first, i tried uninstalling the devices through device manager... then reset, let windows use the default HID driver for the keyboard and the mouse... i restart, unplug and replug the hardware, and the razer drivers show up again, not the generics...
So i tried a few other things and got the generics to run without defaulting to razer... and had the same issue, thought was a fluke, so i got a non gaming keyboard, and plugged in, and no joy, same issue. I decided to scrap the darn thing... too many frustrations. I deleted all files that were linked with the OS drives, wiped the OS and Scrubbed the drive. In the process of reinstalling all the fun drivers, and well, hoping like hell this will fix the problems. I won't install the razer software before i try typing in yahoo msnger and playing a game or two. it might be the software from the keyboard and mouse... but then again, i dunno :dontknow:

Thanks for your help so far guys!

Reaction score
HAH! Success... it must have been an OS install glitch or driver glitch or whatever... i dunno.. way over my head at this point... i reinstalled windows, and installed the yahoo msnger and it works like a champ... I will update if a specific install kills it and causes an issue again... but for the moment, SOLVED!

Thank you guys for your help once again!

Reaction score
I was thinking that your keyboard is the culprit and about to advice that you test your keyboard to other computers.

good to know that its all working.

Reaction score
I figured out what the cause of this whole fiasco is!... Comcast just updated their security center with this total security center and on of the FAQ problems was typing letters and numbers appearing... What a POS... I'm sticking with MSE... i can't get Norton on it's own from them anymore... you have to get the security center and install from there... and that's where the problem starts. If you uninstall the security center, you get a BSOD until you uninstall norton through Safe-mode. What a pain

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Norton has an removal tool that you should get from their website to remove any remaining pieces/parts.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It is sad to see issues with an IP and their related security software. That's why I always go for not necessarily the best known AV/IS apps but the ones that work the best over the long haul.

I have NEVER had an issue using ESET, BitDefender, G DATA or F-Secure. It also interesting that those always get consistent high marks from AV-Comparatives dot Org.

If you want you can still get what's left of the 6 month trial of F-Secure that expires on Nov 13 2011 from the Security Section of the forum. I posted the trial key there with a link to DL the app.

Ask a Question