Internet Explorer 9 Report?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I honestly think IE could be a better browser if it were open-source.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am getting no increase in CPU or RAM usage using IE9 either.

Apparently some users must have their browser configured incorrectly or not using Simple Ad Block as I use consistently and was suggested by Digerati in this thread.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm not getting the CPU and RAM usage jump you guys are seeing either. I would suggest you check your add-ons. I currently have 9 IE9 sessions and a total of 16 tabs open and my CPU is sitting between 0 and 2% and my RAM at 23% (with 8Gb on board. But I'm also streaming Sirius Internet Radio and, of course, have my security programs running.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I am currently folding on the laptop with 100% CPU usage and have Firefox open.(3 tabs) Opening IE 9 64bit, ( 2 tabs and no add-ons) memory usage increased from 1.23 GB to 1.28GB

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do use Simple Ad Block, but haven't really configured IE that much, only the security settings (raised "Privacy" level to "Medium High"). I tried using that setting to hide my location, but when I did, I couldn't log onto PayPal to make purchases.

I also had Speckie installed for a short time, but it was continually allowing misspelled words to slide by, so I removed it.

Other than that, I haven't messed with IE's settings. Usually when I tried to mess with IE's settings too much, I had a unusable browser. This was the case with all versions of IE since IE7.

Cat

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I use the Browser with which I am comfortable. At the present time that happens to be IE9.
I opened 6 forums, logged in., with IE. I closed and opened the same forums with FF.
IE has the advantage, but I doubt I would notice the difference.
IE on the left. FF on the right.

7useage.PNG FFuseage.PNG

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but it was continually allowing misspelled words to slide by, so I removed it.
Oh? I've not seen that. Did you try the latest version? Have the right dictionary? Did you add those words to your custom dictionary? What words?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I used the latest version. Usually the program would offer an update weekly. I wasn't aware that a spell checker had to be configured. Since I only use English as my language, I don't see why it doesn't catch common words that's misspelled.

I've not had any problems with spell checkers that's been installed on other browsers, including previous versions of IE. I did nothing special to configure any of them, except the language selection upon install (when requested).

But that's not why I chose a different default browser, just as I chose other aftermarket tools. My default defrag & backup/partitioning programs are not those that are included with 7, either.

We all are different, use computers in different ways, and there's no "one size fits all" when selecting apps, including our default browser.

That being said, I still feel that IE9 is the best version of IE that's been released to date.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes, I used the latest version. Usually the program would offer an update weekly. I wasn't aware that a spell checker had to be configured. Since I only use English as my language, I don't see why it doesn't catch common words that's misspelled.
The default is US English so no configuration was needed in your case - so it should not have problems with common words. I'm one of the beta testers so that's why I asked which words? Note that many words we think are misspelled are actually different, but real words. If I said, "The witch has a hairy wort on her nose!", the checker would let "wort" through because it is a real word (type of plant) - even though I should have said, "wart". Or if use "steel" instead of "steal".

Note the Speckie dictionaries are commonly used word databases used by many dictionaries. It is not unique to Speckie. It should also be noted that these commonly used word databases do not typically include technical terms, colloquialisms, and jargon. But you can easily add them to your custom dictionary so they are not tagged again and again.

Regardless, if you still looking for a good real-time spell checker for IE9, I recommend you try it again. If you still have problems, we'll get in touch with the developer and sort them out.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, I'll reinstall it & see how it goes. My wife uses IE more than I, she prefers it's simplicity & excellent graphics, even on my low spec desktop.

I use IE9 (& sometimes Opera) on sites that doesn't work well with FF. Or when FF gets a little buggy after an update/patch, which seems to happen at least once a week.

Another thing about IE9, it no longer freezes on either of my computers, like it once did, even a couple of weeks after the final release. The CPU/RAM usage goes to the ceiling on my desktop, but that may be due to my anemic hardware more than the browser. On my notebook (my specs are listed), this doesn't happen.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
she prefers it's simplicity & excellent graphics, even on my low spec desktop.
Excellent graphics? Not sure what you mean there. One of the main focuses of IE9 is to be plain, so the content you download shines, not IE. Graphics quality has nothing to do with the browser of choice. That's more a function of resolution.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What I mean is that the screen (the content) looks really good, especially for having a 256MB video card. The details in the pictures are there. And most of the screen is content, unlike IE8, where one-fourth of the screen was toolbars & options.

That's what I meant by simplicity & excellent graphics. And that does play a part in selecting a default browser, especially for someone who only uses the computer for shopping.

She has used & seen IE9, FF4 & the latest Opera, and prefers IE9 out of the pack for it's looks. She could care less about the rest of the features in the browser, it's only the displayed content that concerns her. She does not use email, read the news, or use it for any other purpose other than shopping, and I'm the one who completes the purchases for her.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
unlike IE8, where one-fourth of the screen was toolbars & options.
Ah! You are right - decluttering IE was a major goal of IE9. I had to put my links bar back though!

Reaction score
Ah! You are right - decluttering IE was a major goal of IE9. I had to put my links bar back though!
Aha! I'm glad to hear we still have that option.
I still haven't switched over from IE8 yet, but I will. Thanks Dig.

Reaction score
Finally downloaded IE9. My first impression is I'm happy with it.
Didn't like the favorites moving to the right side, but I guess I'll live with it.

Thats like just when you learn where everything is located in your local grocery store, they get the urge to remodel so you don't know where anything is at. LOL

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thats like just when you learn where everything is located in your local grocery store, they get the urge to remodel so you don't know where anything is at. LOL
Except that is a marketing tactic to get you to go down every aisle again so maybe you will see something new and buy it too instead of just all your normal purchases.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll reinstall it & see how it goes. My wife uses IE more than I, she prefers it's simplicity & excellent graphics, even on my low spec desktop.
I'm sorry, but that just made me laugh.
Excellent graphics? Images, perhaps - that really depends of the type of image (PNG vs JPEG). But when it comes to overall color and rendering, it's got to be FireFox. From what I've heard, Safari isn't bad with JavaScript - but Google Chrome just got a major update so I'll have to check that...

And about being "uncluttered", has she seen Google Chrome? Not only is it even simpler, but it actually looks good (unlike IE's blocky corners). THAT'S SIMPLICITY.

And honestly, things like the "url bar which works as search bar"? That's been in FireFox and Chrome for years.

Yea, I know, my posts nowadays are pretty "ranty" - but screw it. I don't like seeing horror praised. It's like the messages that tell you IE is the overall best browser (MSN homepage when seen from other browsers than IE):

Show that to any self-respecting designer or developer, and he'll laugh in your face. Unleash a more beautiful web? wtf. IE is always the last one to implement new web technologies, so screw it. Microsoft, that "more beautiful web" you're talking about has already been 'unleashed' long ago. And it was done properly.

@Cat - Ever viewed the source of a website which had something like this in it's header;
Code:
<!-- IF IE --> blahdi blah
? Don't you wonder why it's the only browser that has a special "hack" like this? (I mean, sure other browsers have browser specific CSS3, but that's because it's still in dev stages)

Annnnd I'm done ranting for now :)

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yea, I know, my posts nowadays are pretty "ranty" - but screw it. I don't like seeing horror praised. It's like the messages that tell you IE is the overall best browser (MSN homepage when seen from other browsers than IE):
Good to see you are not biased.

Simply because you can find a report that says this is best or that is best simply means you have a choice - red car or blue car?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to see you are not biased.

Simply because you can find a report that says this is best or that is best simply means you have a choice - red car or blue car?
Red car? Under the hood, it works great, looks great and is said to be the best.
Blue car? Under the hood, it works badly, looks not so great and is hardly catching up with new technologies - yet it is said best.

If you had to advise someone on buying one of the cars - would you tell that person to buy the red car or the blue car? ;)

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
would you tell him / her to buy the red car or the blue car?
No. I'd say use IE9 because Chrome has funny corners and the button is over there instead of here. ;)

Ask a Question