Internet Explorer 9 Report?

Reaction score
I'm still running IE8, and I still get a few websites that have minor compatibility differences with IE8. You know how you get that little compatibility button at the top of the screen when a website doesn't work quite right.

So I've been putting off switching to IE9, but it's been out a little while now, so how's the report card?
Many IE9 compatibility problems with websites by now?

Last edited:
Reaction score
in address bar of ie9 at time u open a website and u want to run in compatibility mode then u click on the little icon type next to search icon in address bar it is compatibility icon......:cool:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I use IE9 for some sites that's not compatible with FF, and I can say, it's the best version of IE that MS has released. Something that I could never truthfully say for IE8, it's the "Vista" of IE, too much clutter & overkill. I don't & never have liked toolbars claiming one-fourth of the screen.

My wife, who doesn't use computers much at all (except when shopping for clothes), prefers it for it's simplicity, yet at the same time, has a large, beautiful screen with very clear images, even on my low spec desktop.

If you're still running IE8, you should really like IE9 a lot better.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
BigDDad - switch to IE9, you'll really like it compared to IE8.

Reaction score
Ensure that your OS is compatible with the IE 9 and no other application is conflicting with it. In most of the cases, the problem will not be a compatibility issue with the OS, but other applications or settings which may conflict with the installation of IE9. Another reason of problems with the source from where you are trying to install the IE9 can be avoided by using proper and genuine installation procedure. Make sure that the CD or the drive containing the setup is safe and not corrupted. If you are downloading it from the Internet, make sure that the firewall settings are accordingly set. If it is a virus issue, then you can avoid it by scanning your computer for viruses using a genuine antivirus software and then you can easily install the IE9.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
After you brought this up I went ahead and installed it for the very first time (I never tried the beta). It seems to run fine but the thing I noticed immediately is that it moves the html line up into the window heading and it puts tabs in the little space beside that. Even though you can adjust the width the tabs get quite crowded. There is an option to put the tabs on a separate line but it is still up in the window title area which I think stinks. I left it installed because for as little as I use IE it won't matter; I find the firefox layout better, especially tabs, which are just above the actual page they control.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
... I left it installed because for as little as I use IE it won't matter; I find the firefox layout better, especially tabs, which are just above the actual page they control.
I concur, not overly impressed with the layout but for what I use it for...

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Something else to think about is security. Once again, both Firefox and Chrome far and away had MANY more new vulnerabilities discovered than IE9.

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB11-129.html

Microsoft got it right with IE9, as they did with Windows 7 and the new MSE. IE9 is clearly the most secure browser. Now before anyone balks, I am not saying you are insecure if you use an alternative, but I am say security is NO EXCUSE for switching away from IE.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Rofl. Those "articles" make me laugh. 95% of them are paid ones. Tsss. Don't believe everything you read.

I don't deny that IE9 is the best version of IE till now, but it sucks compared to Chrome and Firefox. Honestly, if you want a true web experience, with websites that look great, use Chrome. I'm on a web dev forum, being a dev myself, and Chrome is considered the best by all of us. IE is just soo bad and old. All these "new" features it's supposed to have have been in FF and Chrome for ages.

I'm probably gonna be ranting some more, so I'll stop :p Oh, and for the Opera users, I'm not saying anything because I rarely use it (I open it when I want yo check compatibility in all browsers of my sites)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use 4 browsers FF4, IE9, and Chrome I like them all. I do use FF4 more for my Day to day use. I also use Pale moon which is a FF 3.6.16 knockoff

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Installed IE9 since the updates offered it, and it's not bad, although I wish they had made it easier to find some damn extensions to download for it... If there's no AdBlock alternative for IE9, I have no use for it.

And why is it necessary for IE to open a new leaf on the SuperBar icon for each tab?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And why is it necessary for IE to open a new leaf on the SuperBar icon for each tab?
:confused: I only see one entry per actual open IE window on the Taskbar; so if I have two IE windows open and in the first window I see 4 tabs and in the second window I see two tabs then on the taskbar I see just 2 items, not 6 (this is exactly the same as I see with Firefox).

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
When I have IE9 up, my CPU use goes up from 10% to 98% and memory consumption hits from 60% to 90%. :(

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just noticed the same thing. Upon starting up IE9, both the CPU & RAM usage shot way up (92% CPU, 86% RAM). What's up with that?

With the other browsers (FF & Opera), it's not like that at all.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Btw, I don't know if this has been mentioned already elsewhere, but IE10 Platform Preview is available already. IE10 won't run on any Windows older than 7...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I read that elsewhere, but what good is it? If there's not going to be any real addons for it, and our CPU & RAM are going to be fried running it (no one warned us about that), it's better to stick with an aftermarket browser.

Not that I'm bashing MS here, Windows 7 is a fine OS, the best that MS has produced to date. So is Office 2010, and 2007 for that matter. I enjoy using 7, but some things, I prefer to make my choices on.

IE9 is a major improvement to IE8, but work still needs to be done. It's time for the IE team to write a browser from total scratch, just as the competition has.

Cat

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Apart from the initial jump to circa 60% CPU I'm getting no changes in my RAM usage or CPU usage. I am opening with my home page as a blank page though.

Ask a Question