how to partition HDD like retail PC's

Reaction score
Like the thread title says, how do I partition the HDD like retail PC's to where that partition has the hidden recovery OS on it. If the big branded companies can do it why can't us little guys.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My question is... why? BF - I don't mean to sound flippant, but is it really necessary for you to do this?

Reaction score
NP...I was thinking of building and selling custom PC's...with out having to buy a OS every time. Just to have one copy of the OS with hand out Product keys and partition like the retail giants do. I was basically wonder if it were possible and how much of a hassle it would be to go through all the red tape for a custom PC builder to get a company license for multiple OS installs.

Reaction score
NP...I was thinking of building and selling custom PC's...with out having to buy a OS every time. Just to have one copy of the OS with hand out Product keys and partition like the retail giants do. I was basically wonder if it were possible and how much of a hassle it would be to go through all the red tape for a custom PC builder to get a company license for multiple OS installs.
That would probably work if you went through the effort of changing the activation key for each install to match the "hand out Product keys" that goes with the system.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think you need to talk to MS about that. Become a MS Partner. As a system builder, if you install OEM/System Builder licenses on a machine, YOU are responsible to provide tech support for Windows for 1 year. That's how OEM licenses work - even if you are building a computer for yourself. And remember, if you sell a computer for even a penny profit, that is taxable income.

Frankly, as a consumer, I don't like what you are planning at all. I hate it - and I mean that with sincere ire - when computer makers do NOT provide their customers with original Microsoft Windows installation disks.

These methods of trying to save a few pennies force new buyers to create recovery disks which means you force your customers to go out, try to figure out what type of blank DVDs to buy (Is it DVD-R? or DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD-RW, or DVD+RW?), then buy a whole box (cause you cannot buy just 1). Then they have to burn the disks, label them, and save them somewhere - all the while never truly knowing if the burn was 100% successful, or if the recovery disk will work. And sadly, most users just don't do that. And since recovery partitions provide absolutely zero chances of restoring the computer to it's original state if the hard drive fails, your customers are then stuck, and may very well be upset with you for not providing the original disks.

I give my customers a choice when they order a PC from me with Windows pre-installed - they can have a OEM/System Builders license or they can have a full Retail license - but in either case, they get the original Microsoft Windows Installation disk.

The only exception to that is if I am selling 10 computers to a business client. But even then, they get the original volume license disk, and 10 key code stickers.

As a small custom PC builder, I don't have the purchasing power to go to WD and buy 100,000 hard drives. Or go to Corsair and buy 400,000 sticks of RAM or 100,000 PSUs. Same with cases, CPUs, and motherboards. Therefore, I don't even pretend I can compete in price with the big makers - so I don't even try.

So the added value I give my clients is a custom machine designed and built for them (not for 100,000 people just like them). I cannot build a cheaper computer than Dell or HP, but I can build a better computer in every category. And I take pride in that.

I don't want to be like the big branded companies.

Reaction score
Dig...I couldn't agree more with you.

I was just wondering if it was possible to do the hidden partition with the option to make recovery disc and how hard/easy it would be to do that and would it really be worth it in the end.

Like you I prefer quality to quantity.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can use partition software like Partition Master to create a partition and make it hidden. The problem, is, the big PC (and notebook) maker's use a specially modified BIOS to provide the necessary prompt to recover from it. I have made a 40+ year hardware support career avoiding programming so I don't know how hard that would be, but I would think if the user upgrades his/her BIOS, any customization you did would be lost - unless you had a custom made firmware BIOS chip made by Award or Phoenix for each motherboard you use. Sounds expensive to me - especially with just a handful of like motherboards at a time as opposed to the big makers who move 1000s of identical boards per month.

Like you I prefer quality to quantity.
Well, in terms of "quality", the big makers, for the most part, assemble "reliable" parts to make a computer that typically will provide years of good service - with the notable exception of cheap, generic, barely adequate PSUs used by some budget models. I don't allow the use of cheap, generic, barely adequate PSUs in my builds. And I don't allow the use of cheap cases either. A good PSU and case form the foundation for a computer that will provide years of service AND upgrade options - plus, and most importantly, provide good cooling options.

Some makers allow you to make minor customizations to the computer before purchase. But when I build a computer for a client, I get to know him or her first, and we sit down and I basically do an interview and determine exactly what they will be using the computer for, and [attempt to] determine what their future requirements might be so I can build today a machine that will support future upgrades without having to do a whole new rebuild. In fact, my business model is we build the computer WITH the buyer, not for them. That is, they pick the parts and assemble them, install the OS and setup the machine with us watching over their shoulder. In this way, they learn, and more importantly, they get familiar and comfortable with the hardware. They learn how to handle RAM modules, motherboards, cards, etc. and they learn how to deal with ESD, practicing safe computing/malware prevention and how to keep their systems clean of heat trapping dust - without being afraid to open the side panel.

Yes, that means they cannot walk in my shop and buy a PC off the shelf today. And yes, that means if something goes wrong in the future, they will be more likely to deal with it themselves, but that is actually what I want - for users to be self-sufficient. My business actually stays alive through word-of-mouth advertisement as my clients tell their friends about us.

Personally, I think it is very difficult, if not impossible for a small, independent builder to make a living building PCs. And with the proliferation of smartphones, tablets, and cheap (almost disposable) PCs, it will become harder. Malware removal, upgrades, and repair is where the money is, but even then, the overhead can be expensive - especially if you have a separate shop (mine is in my home). Basically I do it to stay "current" with technologies - not for the money. So my perspective may be different from those who need the money to put food on the table. I make a little on each build, but my main pay is the warm fuzzy I get when my client turns on a PC he or she built, and I see a beaming smile of pride and a sense of accomplishment from them.

Ask a Question