How to install ATI AGP Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Cool, cool.

Very strange problem indeed. Do you have the internal power connector attached to the card, if it requires one?

Anyhow, try updating like this:

Right click on the video in device manager. Update driver software. Browse my computer. Let me pick. Have disk. Browse. Now go into C:\ATI to the folder that extracted when previously trying to install. Find the .inf file and double click on it. Hit ok and then hit next. It will install.

Reaction score
Try that again and again until I saw where it halts. It halts at atiode.exe. I'll send you the .inf file and the hardware ids.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&CC_0300

Attachments

Reaction score
Yeah, the .inf you attached is perfectly fine for your card. I added your subsys number to a line which will work all the same.

If you open it and look, you can search for this and see:

VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_0028174B

It really will not make a difference, but you can try manually installing after replacing the old .inf with this one in my attachments,

Attachments

Reaction score
Hey buddy, this one might make the actual difference. I noticed your motherboard page has 5.11 of the NVIDIA chipset drivers, but it has 3.77 in it's name for GART:

NVIDIA all in 1 driver package ver: 511_gart377

From your .inf now for GART: DriverVer = 10/29/2003, 3.7.7

Install the GART driver from here instead:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11.html

It has this version: GART driver version 4.36 (WHQL)

:)

Reaction score
I try several times now. First time in normal mode at atiode.exe my screen freezed. After the restart I entered in safe mode and installed the driver and my machine required a reboot (it actually said that it is necessary to restart my computer to changes take effect). After the reboot it began to load windows and at some point again freeze. Restart manually last good known configuration and here I am.

Reaction score
After the reboot it began to load windows and at some point again freeze.
Did you install the new GART driver?

Try letting it sit for a little bit on the reboot. I know you said it freezes, but perhaps it's doing things needing to be done so it can get to desktop. Give it plenty of time. Even walk away for a little bit then check on it.

As long as it doesn't bsod, it may be doing good things.

Also, install the monitor driver for your monitor from the manufacturer's website.

Reaction score
From my post above...you might have missed it (you have 3.77 and now should install 4.36 instead):

"Hey buddy, this one might make the actual difference. I noticed your motherboard page has 5.11 of the NVIDIA chipset drivers, but it has 3.77 in it's name for GART:

NVIDIA all in 1 driver package ver: 511_gart377

From your .inf now for GART: DriverVer = 10/29/2003, 3.7.7

Install the GART driver from here instead:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11.html

It has this version: GART driver version 4.36 (WHQL)"

Reaction score
I tried to uninstall all nvidia driver and after that one restart. I tried to install the new nvidia drivers but my system begin to install them and after that nothing, I mean that it begin installation and after you see the first part it disappears from the screen. Even in the process from task manager I see nothing. I installed manually Nvidia Nforce 3 250 AGP Host to PcI Bridge and that's why I asked you where I can see the version of GART.

It says driver date 4.2.2004, driver version 4.3.6.0.

It's OK now this version???

Reaction score
Ah, simply use the device manager to see which version AND also to update the driver if it still needs it.

Right click the Host to PCI bridge and choose properties. Then go to driver tab to see the version.

If it isn't 4.36, then install 4.36 using the device manager too.

Reaction score
Ah, simply use the device manager to see which version AND also to update the driver if it still needs it.

Right click the Host to PCI bridge and choose properties. Then go to driver tab to see the version.

If it isn't 4.36, then install 4.36 using the device manager too.
look at my post above.
I tried again, another block at atiode.exe for 5 minutes, restart and you know the rest.

Reaction score
If you install the video card driver using the device manager, atiode.exe will not be even used at all.

Reaction score
Yes it is.

If you have ever had an NVIDIA card in the machine, use Driver Sweeper in safe mode to clean all NVIDIA video files. (Don't check the box for chipset while using!)

Other than that, double check that AGP is set as the primary display in the bios.

If neither of those two things get it going, I'd consider a clean install of XP.

Reaction score
Ok I'll install a fresh XP (although I had one this morning before I began to work with you), after that I'll update my system, I'll install nvidia (GART 4.36), framework 2.0 and update after and after that I'll try the catalyst 10.9. Is OK or should I do something else, in another order???

Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

I really don't know why this is happening as I've never seen anything like it before...and thats saying a lot for sure, heh heh.

I would hold off on installing any type of antivirus too, until it works well.

Reaction score
All done, a little victory. I tried an older version of catalyst 9.5 and it says installed corectly reboot and after that the message shown in the picture.

L.E. Did you ever see this kind of bull-.... I apologise for my language but what it's enough it's enough. In control panel it says the VC is installed and if you want to modify your resolution look what I found.

I guess it's pretty late or morning for you. In my contry is 10 PM. Tomorow I'll be at work all day without my computer or internet.

If you're kind (actually you were more then nice and you lost a lot of your time with me) I'll try again on sunday.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
What does the device manager look like? Is there now a display adapter section?

Post a screenshot if ya want.

I'd also try installing the latest hotfix driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question