SOLVED How to crop an avatar to make it fit?

Reaction score
Hello, if I'm in the wrong forum, please correct? Thanks.

I have WLMail2011, firefox, etc.

But the problem is in another website where my avatar appears 3/4s chopped up on one side. That site said it's because it's not square and need to crop it, but I used it in all other sites and it's perfect.

I tried to crop it on one side in my computer but all it did was to pencil in where I indicated I wanted it cropped. couldn't erase that pencil thing so had to delete the pic and copy it again.

Thanks ever so much for any suggestions. :) Adela

P.S. I put it here as you can see, and no problem.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you have MS Office 2007 or 2010, there's a handy tool called MS Office Picture Manager. It works very well for cropping and resizing photos.

Reaction score
Thank you Nibiru for your prompt response, but I only have MS Office 2003...so I'll have to find some other way. :( Adela

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Provide me with the image, and i'll crop it for you.

Otherwise, there is pixlr.com/editor you can try. I use photoshop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are a handful of Image Creators / Photo Editors / Viewers in our Freeware DB. I have not tried them all but I would assume all but the viewer have two solutions to your problem (and even IRFANVIEW has at least one of them).

1) crop, where it allows you to select a portion of the image and then you can 1a) paste selection to a new image or 1b) crop to selection, discarding the excess in the current image.

2) resize which allows you to shrink or enlarge your existing image to a specific pixel height and width. You may need a combination of the two to get as much picture within the limits as possible and still chop off an edge or two rather than distorting the image.

You will need to know what the pixel limits are for their site and then tweak you image to that size.

If you do not wish to learn a software package, as Ace said you could use the "Go advanced" button and then the paperclip option to attach your image here and tell us the pixel size needed and we could easily adjust it.

Reaction score
Provide me with the image, and i'll crop it for you.
Thank you so much Ace for offering to do it for me! I'm attaching the screenshot image which fit perfectly in all the sites I posted it, including yours here, and also the one broken at that particular site so you can see how much of it, is eaten. I hope these screenshots came out ok and that you'll be able to fix for me. :)

Also thank you TrainableMan for all the good ideas which I'll keep in case I run into this problem again, but I did try for an entire day searching Google about this matter plus a couple of other forums, and I went crazy with the multiple ramifications explained and offered there...especially since I don't seem to have the softwares they use.:confused:

Thanks a lot to both your kindness! :) Adela

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This one is square 100x100.
2FLAGS-100x100.jpg
Give it a try.

To download it, right-click on the image and choose "Save Image As".

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH TrainableMan! You did it! I hastened to post it on that site and it looks beautiful!

Did you diminished the size of the figure? Or cropped the longer left side to make it square? I'll have to remember when it happens again, to diminish it to 100 x 100?

Thanks again!!! :) adela

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You didn't necessarily have to "crop" a portion to get it squared too. You could expand the top and bottom to get it square without having to remove any of the existing image.

Here's a 120x120 version, and the image was a bit low quality so I fixed up all of the pixelated parts in this one. The flag is the same size, it's the background white area that is 120x120

2-FLAGS PIN.png

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thank you Nibiru for your prompt response, but I only have MS Office 2003...so I'll have to find some other way. :( Adela
MS Office 2003 has the same feature also, for future reference.

Reaction score
MS Office 2003 has the same feature also, for future reference.
Thank you Nibiru, I'll have to go locate it so I can use it in case the same thing happens at another site. :) Adela

Last edited:
Reaction score
You didn't necessarily have to "crop" a portion to get it squared too. You could expand the top and bottom to get it square without having to remove any of the existing image.

Here's a 120x120 version, and the image was a bit low quality so I fixed up all of the pixelated parts in this one. The flag is the same size, it's the background white area that is 120x120
View attachment 3536
Oh I was looking for the little squares on the angles so i could pull them inside and thus try to make it more square, but they appeared only on one side (the wrong side) and didn't move. I then tried to slice off the left white side but the closest tool I found was a....pencil!!!

Too bad I'm not well versed with pixels, etc., but if it happens again in another site, I can just copy the one you so kindly made for me.

Again, thanks ever so much for terrific help!!! ;)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually your picture was something like 100x80 so primarily all I did was enlarge the canvas to 100x100 and white fill the new top and bottom sections. I did notice however that the very tip of the Israeli flag was missing so I did actually move the picture left a few pixels and recreate the rightmost tip of the flag.

Glad it worked for you. I will mark this thread solved.

Reaction score
Ohhhhh you are a real photo expert!!! So my original pic was lop sided with 100x80? No wonder it didn't fit in that site, but I'm puzzled that it fitted everywhere else! Probably those sites had one of the latest software to accommodate a wrong picture?

I'm fascinated with how you fixed my little avatar. Again, thanks so much! :) Adela

I'll mark it resolved.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It depends on the sites software or settings I suppose. That site apparently takes the shortest pixel size and crops to square.

Reaction score
Hello TrainableMan, I hope you don't mind my reopening this thread for just one more request?

It seems that the beautiful sizing you did on my little avatar which fits perfectly in all sites (100x100), look how beautiful you made them here, the Facebook to which I just registered thinks it’s too small! I went to http://pixlr.com/editor/ which you so kindly recommended and I chose 200x100 and the Facebook popup said “Too small, should be at least 180 horizontal”...I had it at 200. So I went back and made it 250x150 and while it accepted it...it showed cut off at left and right. So I further enlarged it to 300x150 and this time it cut off all along the bottom too and was a little sided to the left. :(

Could I bother you to help again as you so kindly did previously? :eek:)

Thanks ever so very much! Adela

CUT OFF at 250x150

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From what I could find the facebook size is 180x540 so likely if you aren't exactly at 180 then it cuts off the extra.

2FLAGS-180x180.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks again and again TrainableMan! I guess I confused the measurements...I'll just have to practice more on this. Thanks again so much, it looks beautiful! :) Adela

Reaction score
How do you "thank"?

Hello....I noticed some people show they thanked many times but it shows on my side that I tanked 0...how do you thank? I thought I did that each time. Thanks, Adela

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You thanked me in several posts above and it would add those to my "thanked" count. When someone hits the "Thanks" button on your post then you get one added to your count. In other words it is not a count of how many times you thanked others, your count is how many times you have been thanked.

Ask a Question