SOLVED How to change Windows default cursor scheme Permanantly???

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Well my problem is similar I guess, I have downloaded a few cool cursor schemes, and some has the automatic installation ini files and while some do not!

Here's my problem, I have no idea on how to do it!!!

Well... For one of the schemes I had (which do not have and automatic installation ini file), I tried doing it this way, I went to control Panel, Mouse, Pointer tab, and then changed all the cursor scheme one by one, and then applied it, and also I saved the scheme by pressing save as.. And made a different name for it!

Here's the generated problem: Each time I restart my PC, I would have to do the steps again?!!!

Well, When I go to do it, I find the scheme that I saved, and even the system shows like I'm using it, but in fact it's still my default pointer.. So all I have to do is to press apply AGAIN EVERY TIME I REBOOT/SHUT DOWN MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there no other way to permanently change the scheme?
and I would also like to know how to install a scheme if it has it's own install.ini file?

Please reply as soon as possible,
Thanks in Advance!! :)

Reaction score
Sorry for the double posting.. But I just wanted to add that I've got my cursor schemes icon's saved in "C:\My Documents" folder.. Could that be the cause?? Should I save them in the system cursors file?!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In the control panel, as you have done, select the mouse then click on pointers and pick them individually by browsing your computer. There should be no need to put them in the cursor file. Click save as, give it a name and then press OK

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for replying davehc,

But actually thats what I'd exactly done!!!

But still, Every time I reboot my Laptop, it goes back to Windows Aero's original cursor scheme!!!

Any Ideas why it is changing to the original one once I reboot?? Is there a system file that is checked as read-only that I have to uncheck?? Please reply soon, thanks :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
pointers.jpg
So even after you save the new mouse pointer scheme like above, it restores on reboot?

Reaction score
Not directly addressing your query but have you tried CursorFX?
That's the one I use and it works fine with 7 with no problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Mychael do you use the paid portion of CursorFX or do you get enough from the free part?

Reaction score
I use the free one TM. It gave me enough for what I want. Not sure of the number of choices now been a while since I looked. Like most things there are some in there you probably would not like/want to use but I found a few that suited me.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sorry for the late reply, my internet had went down and I needed to fix it...

Anyway, Yes TrainableMan, and I find it extremely weird as it is supposed to save it permanently??!!!

I'm not really sure of what you're referring to Mychael, since I don't exactly know that.. Is it a program or something?

And just saying, I thought you can do that with any Windows without the need for an external program or third party software if that's what it is?!

Thanks a lot!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First set them how you want them. Then check your registry settings; that is where the cursors are stored.

You will find them in HKEY_Current_User\Control Panel\Cursors and HKEY_Current_User\Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes and if you have them set this is the information you need, but that area is reloaded every time you logon.

What seems to be missing for you and where you really need to have it set is under HKEY_Users\???\Control Panel\Cursors. Now for me the ??? is S-1-5-21-405etc-etc but it is different for each user, you will need to first figure out which user is YOU and you want to make sure all the values you have carefully set in HKEY_Current_User\Control Panel\Cursors are duplicated under your HKEY_User. That includes creating the Schemes subfolder if it is not there.

Once that is set logoff and logon to verify it stayed (and that you set it for the right user :p).

NOTE: Changing the registry can be hazardous to your system. It is a good idea to export the registry (or at least the sections you are affecting) prior to making changes.

CursorFx is an application from Stardock that tries to offer extra features or a more convenient interface than the windows built-in tools in hopes you will buy their full version. Personally I set my cursors probably once on install and never change them but some people may like the idea of themes etc and do it more often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Tm has said. I use the free version of Cursor Fx and it meets my needs for a quick and easy way to change my cursor icons.

Reaction score
Ok here's the thing, I followed what you had exactly said and found which user I am, but how do I exactly do the duplication process as you said? Should I just simply type everything there in one folder? But how can I make a folder like the ones there? Sorry, I'm just new to this registry editing, but I just need to know how to duplicate it, since I understood the rest correctly?

Thanks by the way :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Open the Registry Editor and expand down so you are sitting on HKEY_Current_User\Control Panel\Cursors. Then right-click and you should see an option to export. Save the registry file someplace like your documents folder or someplace you can access.

Then use notepad to open the file (you cannot use double-click because the default operation is NOT notepad, it is to run the registration). Each section starts with "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Cursors"... and you need to edit this to "[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4055043867-194102399-8670028-1003\Control Panel\Cursors"... (substituting your S-1-5-whatever). You will have at least two, the Cursors and Cursors\Schemes, possibly more if you have multiple schemes ... be sure to change them all.

At that point you would save the file and then double-click to run it. The problem is, when I try to run it I get an error which says I cannot change that part of the registry. So you can try it.

Are they very different? Is your scheme there at all?

Reaction score
I did exactly what you said, and in addition I have my UAC disabled, so my registry was successfully changed!

But here is what I found, when and before I try to duplicate the registry, I found out that the modified cursor scheme that I was trying to get to be permanent was already there in my user account when, and also when I duplicated the registry it also worked!

And I even tried restarting, but after that nothing happened, no change! :(

Any help, I'm clueless here!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the registry is correct then my next suspicion would be that you have some software that is changing cursors on boot-up; perhaps some tool or tweak utility that you installed.

Try running MSCONFIG and set it to do a diagnostic start-up; then reboot to see what cursors you get.

Reaction score
Well I did logon using the Diagnostic start-up as you said, but sad to say and know that I still get the same cursor scheme!!!

Should I try CursorFX?? I mean would that solve my problem to make it change permanent not only until the next reboot?

Thanks in Advance! :confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On the mouse pointers there is a checkbox that says "allow themes to change mouse pointers". Make sure that box is NOT checked. If it was checked then, uncheck it, set it to the theme you created, and reboot.

Should I try CursorFX??
The thing is you shouldn't need it. Check that setting above first, it may solve it, but if not ...
Are you absolutely sure you found the correct user logon in the registry? Do you have more than one cursor theme? If so, after login, when you go to personalization is it set to another theme or is it set to none?

Reaction score
yes, I did uncheck that box right after I saw it!

here are a few notes:

I have my themes set to change every 10 minutes, could that be the cause??

also, I am using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3500, if it has anything to do with it?

Are you absolutely sure you found the correct user logon in the registry?

Yes I did, because I recognized it from the folders/registries that other users don't have, something like unique, or the programs that I only have as an individual user!

And no, I only have one cursor theme, other than the Windows Cursor themes, Which I saved it as "Modified Windows Aero", which everytime I reboot my Laptop and go to mouse properties, cursors find that it is set to the theme I made, and I can only activate it after pressing apply??? Why is it so?

Another thing would be is that even in the registry, when I check it I find in all the users there, that cursor theme that I created?!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the box is NOT checked then the changing themes shouldn't matter (if it was checked then definitely yes).

Type of mouse is irrelevant.

So the theme is selected but you have to hit apply. That is the mystery one as I have not seen this issue with mine.

I would say that if you are willing to give CursorFX a try then you should. Create a system restore point prior to install just to be safe.

Ask a Question