Help with update of Office 2002 to 2003

Reaction score
Using W7 Ultima, and Dual Op Sys with XP. Microsoft Office 2002.
I have never updated my old Word or Outlook from 2002 due to fear of losing custom
dictionary, Contacts, etc.
On Word 2002 I have always been able to click on Tools>Letters & mailings>click on address
book Icon>click on drop down menue to Contacts. Contacts names come up.
Click on name and that name and address appear in Envelopes and Labels Delivery address
box.
I can also get this Address Book by going to Outlook>tools>address book drop down to
Contacts - names appear.
Decided to try and update Word to 2003 and find I have no idea how to get the same address
thing in this version. I have read tons of tutorials, etc. but only come up with differnet ways of
doing a mail merge. I do not use Outlook as my email.

I know this is an outdated subject:eek:

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know about 2003 but in my 2007 I can select "Mailings" from the choices across the top. Then I chose Send Recipients. And the first time I had to "set it up" to use Outlook.

After I did that, then I went to envelopes like you explained & I DO have that icon like you show in 2002.

Word2007Envelopes.jpg

So odds are it is still there in 2003. Maybe you just have to do the Send Recipients button and set up to use outlook contacts first?

Reaction score
Word 2003 is different than yours at toolbars - attachment.
When I click on the little icon from Envelopes I get the MAPI warning.
I have gone to Outlook but no help there.
Why does Office have to be so complicated?

I think this is too fusy to worry about since it is an old program. I just did not want to take on the learning curve of a newer version of Word.
You have been most helpful but don't want to take up more of your time. I have spent over a week on this but little grey cells no can see.

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Not my area of expertise, but I understand your last sentence perfectly, as I have first hand experience. :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you upgraded to Word 2003, did you go ahead and update your Outlook as well? If I understand correctly, the Outlook install would include the MAPI needed.

Reaction score
Thanks Yodap. It gets so frustrating - I love it when something works so keep trying but gads it is hard.

Reaction score
Thanks.
No I did not update Outlook 2003 over 2002 as you have to delete it first. I guess that is why my Address Book at Envelopes does not work properly in the new 2003. I am afraid of losing my Contacts (I do have Backups .pst files). My W7 Ultima does not like these older versions of Office.
W7 has however, allowed my to keep Word 2002 (with my Envelope Address Book working) and also have Word 2003 on. So I guess I can get by.

I tried to install 2003 over 2002 in my XP Partition but it gave me all sorts of error messages and just would not go. 1 error message attached.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Apparently an icon is missing. (.ico is just an icon)

Reaction score
I found the .ico on my W7 partition and tried to copy it over to XP but I was still unable to install Outlook 2003 so I am not going to pursue it at this time. Thanks so much for your patience.

Ask a Question