Have you had trouble with Windows 7

Have you had trouble with Windows 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

This is test to make sure my images can be linked... sorry about the unnecessary post. I was having problems at another site.
No, that's not unnecessary, it's funny! I laughed until the water was running from my eyes over that one.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Could I refer back to my earlier post (#5 - I think)

Without rudeness. Doesn't anyone else feel that this thread has become a help forum, within a help forum? Some useful help info is now being hidden behing here, when , imo, it would be more usefully exposed on the open site.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc, you're right. This thread has turned from a "poll" into it's own forum. Polls should be an off topic discussion. There are a couple of them on this site, the other having to be a discussion of the performance of Windows 7 on older computers. There is some useful posts here, but they are being masked by being a poll, which really isn't one at all.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Mmmmm seems to have gone of track a bit, what was the first question ..... :D ..... :lol:

Reaction score
The problem with laptops is all the parts are manufacturer specific, you can format your HD as a "clean" install. You may have to visit Dell's web site for the driver's though. I build my own systems and I buy the upgrade OS's then do a "clean" install (format and create 1 partition). Hopefully, Windows 7 has basic drivers that are compatible with your hardware, then you can connect to internet and go to Dell and download anything you may need.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Could I refer back to my earlier post (#5 - I think)

Without rudeness. Doesn't anyone else feel that this thread has become a help forum, within a help forum? Some useful help info is now being hidden behing here, when , imo, it would be more usefully exposed on the open site.
I concur with you fully on that observation! :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The problem with laptops is all the parts are manufacturer specific, you can format your HD as a "clean" install. You may have to visit Dell's web site for the driver's though. I build my own systems and I buy the upgrade OS's then do a "clean" install (format and create 1 partition). Hopefully, Windows 7 has basic drivers that are compatible with your hardware, then you can connect to internet and go to Dell and download anything you may need.
Hi, Fred, welcome to Windows 7 forums! Windows does download some drivers, but you cannot rely upon Windows Update alone. You'll have to visit the Dell site, too. Also, in some cases, you may have to contact the part supplier directly for the proper drivers (for example, ATI). But after Windows Update and a visit to Dell's site, if you are still having minor problems, a free visit to Driver Max may work out perfectly for you. It did for me. However, the free version allows you only two drivers per day. The scan is free, and that will give you an idea of what you need. If you only need five or six drivers, and the computer is still usable, and have patience, the free is OK. However, if you have a lot of outdated drivers, the paid may be the way to go. It's up to you, and there may be suggestions from other members, too. Hope everything works out for you, Fred.

Last edited:

DOA

Reaction score
Sorry, I have to say no to that. Dell makes no hardware, they assemble and re-brand it. I have a Hackintosh Dell, and generic install on my Gateway FX with no driver issues. Neither use the company stuff in any way, shape or form. This saved a ton of hard drive space and the Gateway is considerably faster.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to say no to that. Dell makes no hardware, they assemble and re-brand it. I have a Hackintosh Dell, and generic install on my Gateway FX with no driver issues. Neither use the company stuff in any way, shape or form. This saved a ton of hard drive space and the Gateway is considerably faster.
That goes for many of their printers, too. A lot of them are rebranded Lexmark ones. My Dell 720 Photo Printer is one of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
trouble with WIN 7 time zone setting

Yes!! Big problem setting the time zone ... I live in AZ, and when I click on Arizona time zone, it automatically moves 1 hour later. I have to set it on Pacific time zone to get the correct time. But I'm NOT in Pacific time zone, so this is completely throwing off all my Outlook appointments!

Ask a Question