Free Multimedia Software - Split Thread

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you found any broken links in this one?
Yes, several. Look for links with ... or ~ in them.

But also note something odd going on. If you click on any of the links and watch your address box, it first goes to viglink.com which as can be seen here is used to collect money for affiliates.

Upon further review, I think this is a spamming scam and these lists should be removed now. And if I were in charge, I would ban the user.

Reaction score

But also note something odd going on. If you click on any of the links and watch your address box, it first goes to viglink.com which as can be seen here is used to collect money for affiliates.

Upon further review, I think this is a spamming scam and these lists should be removed now. And if I were in charge, I would ban the user.
I don't understand your ideia!
When i click on the links they get me to the respective sites!
Again... i don't know if it's about your USA providers or something else...
Here... Europe, the thing you are talking about, vigilink.com don't happen!
You're all a little "paranoid" about spamm...
It's just a list of links... in one place! No spam intended!
If you follow the links of the foruns i'd posted you don't find nothing like this problems... everybody uses them (this lists) and have no problem!

Tell me what links have the problems you mencioned, please.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You first go to viglink.com (for just a split second), then redirected to the download site. I now believe you had no intention of spamming this site, but the original creator sure had profit in mind when he created it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I found two that came back 404 and removed them.

I find nothing special in the list of URLs such as redirecting but it's hard to say what the individual sites participate in.

Reaction score
You first go to viglink.com (for just a split second), then redirected to the download site. I now believe you had no intention of spamming this site, but the original creator sure had profit in mind when he created it.
Thanks!
Well... i never encoutered that "vigilink.com" problem, even for a split second.
It was the first time i heard about it... here.
About keeping the list updated and replace the broken links... the most certain is after x-mas and new year. This are very occupied days, as you all understand.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I find nothing special in the list of URLs such as redirecting but it's hard to say what the individual sites participate in.
I am using IE9Beta which has enhanced security features to help folks understand where they are going. In IE9, I first see an about:blank page. That should not be there either. I just fired up an IE8 machine and you don't see the quick redirect as IE8 does not have the new address/search box or enhanced security of IE9. So I tried a 3rd system that has Chrome and with that I see the about:blank page for split second before the correct page loads. Again, that should not be there and indicates something peculiar is going on. Since we are talking 3 difference machines here, I don't think it is on my end.

Reaction score
I am using IE9Beta which has enhanced security features to help folks understand where they are going. In IE9, I first see an about:blank page. That should not be there either. I just fired up an IE8 machine and you don't see the quick redirect as IE8 does not have the new address/search box or enhanced security of IE9. So I tried a 3rd system that has Chrome and with that I see the about:blank page for split second before the correct page loads. Again, that should not be there and indicates something peculiar is going on. Since we are talking 3 difference machines here, I don't think it is on my end.
Well... i'm using updated Mozilla Firefox and have none of those problems.
No vigiLink.com, no about:blank...

But concerning the "about:blank split second problem:
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/archive/index.php/t-149301.html
http://www.windowsbbs.com/general-security/36921-question-about-about-blank.html
http://flagfox.servehttp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've split these posts off from the original thread to keep it on topic. I've also pasted a reply from the other thread which should clear up the confusion - my appologies!

I can clear up the VigLink mystery, as I was contacted by them a few days ago to try out their new advertising system. It affiliates potential outbound links, so that's not the fault of the BladeRunner - he wouldn't have known about it. VigLink hasn't done anything so far, so I'm considering removing it anyway :). Sorry for the confusion - I can understand your initial suspicion, I'd have been the same!

As long as the lists are maintained and attributed, then there's no harm in them - I don't doubt BladeRunner was being sincere, although my "spam radar" was going off at first too.

Let's give the thread a chance and see how it turns out :). Once people have had a chance to discuss this, I'll split the discussion posts off to a new thread in the feedback forum so that it doesn't detract from the OP.

Ask a Question