Freezes for 15 minutes on Startup

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I think I may Ben the only one experiencing this or may I just can’t explain it properly in a few words but: My Windows 7 laptop loads up fine but when it reaches the desktop, it freezes in a sense. The cursor is still functioning but it doesn’t respond to my clicks. i.e. if I open google chrome, the browser will pop up but then it freezes on the white load up screen, I then go to the icons at the bottom and they are highlighted but do not open when I click them, task manager doesn’t initiate nor any other function so besides the cursor movement. The funny thing is, after 20-30 dreadful minutes or so, it suddenly initiates all of the functions and programs I previously click on at once & works fine from there on. It is truly a pain and uninspiring to have to wait so long for this machine to function properly & I wish to know if anyone could identify the issue? Thank you guys so much for your time : )

Reaction score
Hi,
Try to delete all temp files permanently. From the Run, type temp. It will open up a folder with many files, you can delete them all. After that type %temp% in the Run and delete all the files from the %temp% folder.
Could you also tell me the configuration of your PC?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would start by running a complete anti-virus scan. Then I would see what programs are running: since it is a laptop it may be trying to download updates you missed while it was turned off. You can try freeing up space like Jobby mentions though I would probably just install CCleaner to do that. And likely more important while running CCleaner I would go to the Tools section, choose startup. And I would research every program set to run automatically in the background: disable things like chrome & HP monitor, etc.

Reaction score
Hi,
Try to delete all temp files permanently. From the Run, type temp. It will open up a folder with many files, you can delete them all. After that type %temp% in the Run and delete all the files from the %temp% folder.
Could you also tell me the configuration of your PC?
Thank you very much for your response Jobby & my apologies for my delay. I've done as you said & now I will restart the system to see if it solved the issue once I get to it. The laptop is an HP 8440p, 120GB SSD, i5 processor, windows 7 machine, Should you need more info I can also give that to you shorty.

Reaction score
I would start by running a complete anti-virus scan. Then I would see what programs are running: since it is a laptop it may be trying to download updates you missed while it was turned off. You can try freeing up space like Jobby mentions though I would probably just install CCleaner to do that. And likely more important while running CCleaner I would go to the Tools section, choose startup. And I would research every program set to run automatically in the background: disable things like chrome & HP monitor, etc.
I've ran countless virus * malware scans along with CC Cleaner, I've even disabled all startup programs & I still get the same 20 minute freeze after reaching the desktop. If I recall correctly, there was a time where the laptop wouldn't even boot to the desktop (black screen with cursor functionality). I took it to a shop to get fix and when it came back I began to notice this issue. Why i didn't check with them about it, i have no clue, guess i was just ecstatic to have it back "working" lol.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response Jobby & my apologies for my delay. I've done as you said & now I will restart the system to see if it solved the issue once I get to it. The laptop is an HP 8440p, 120GB SSD, i5 processor, windows 7 machine, Should you need more info I can also give that to you shorty.
Turns out after all it’s still freezing for long periods of time guys, it’s so frustrating as I sit here waiting for it to respond, btw, the full specs are listed here:
8C2FD7AD-E204-427B-841C-8F61C32F394A.jpg

Ask a Question