SOLVED Constant Crashing and BIOS Beeping

Reaction score
Glad to hear of perceived success, but unless that 500W psu was faulty, it was already good enough for the system.

In a couple of days, please let us know if it still remains well. I have my fingers crossed for ya but something is telling me that it isn't the answer to what was going on....

unless like I said....that it was defective in some way.

Anyhow, at least all the software problems are taken care of for sure since there were no new crash dumps. :)

Good luck! :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good suggestion, sdmnysimon. Hopefully it lasts. The thought does occur to me though, keeping in mind Torrentg's last post, that you may have a small fault on the motherboard, and associated gear, that is pulling too much power and runined your old power unit? Best keep an eye out for overheating anywhere. You have no wish, I am sure, to put your hand in your wallet again.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It was the power supply, bought a 600W and it's gravy, gg. :canabis:
Glad to see your problems are resolved. A good quality 80+ Certified power supply can make all the difference in the world.

It would still be a good idea to verify that your RAM settings are correct in the BIOS, especially if the RAM you're using needs to have the DIMM voltage kicked up a bit.

That can make a lot of difference for sure. I use Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RAM, standard DIMM voltage settings for DDR2 RAM are 1.8 vdc, but my RAM needs to be set at 2.1 vdc to function properly.

If you need help let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it happened again, was fine for almost 3 weeks until today. My DDR3 must be configured wrong in my BIOS. Everything is set to Auto but I think I need to manually change some settings but I have no experience with RAM. Can you help me out?

I'm using OCZ Obsidian 4GB PC312800

Edit: BIOS memory clock was at 1066mhz, switched it over to 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V

*1600mhz is unstable, at 1333mhz now.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Have you consulted your motherboard's owner manual?

Your RAM is rated to run at 1600 MHz clock speed so I am curious why it's not stable then.

READ the BIOS section of the mobo manual thoroughly and be sure you understand how those settings work and how they affect each other.

Reaction score
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT

Downloaded the manual for my motherboard, gives no information whatsoever on RAM configuration.
Gonna try to update my BIOS since I have never done it.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
In your manual it should be on pages 39-43. It's called DRAM configuration.

Reaction score
The manual doesn't go into detail, no numerical information on what my DRAM configuration should be set at. The only thing I changed are the first 4 values on the BIOS list to 9-9-9-24 and changed the voltage to what was listed on the stick itself (1.65v).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bought a new video card (Radeon HD 5670) and I'm experiencing the same issues. I'm going to post some system information below along with the crash dump file right after my computer randomly restarted on me.

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Your DC mode should be "Ganged" not 'unganged" The "Unganged" mode is default for your motherboard, but since you're using more than one stick of RAM you need to set it to the "Ganged" mode. This sets the memory to a "Single Dual-channel mode".

1600MHz DDR3 CL 9-9-9-24(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

You have your frequency and multiplier settings wrong also. Try setting the memory clock to "Auto" or "SPD" settings.

You might try using the "Optimal Default" settings from the BIOS, just be sure to set the memory to Ganged after changing the settings.

Is this your first system build? Why are your BIOS settings showing strange numbers and frequencies?

I understand that the motherboard manual will not be specific in certain areas and they are lacking about "in-depth" information. That's where you have to bite the bullet and mess with the settings slowly.

HAVE YOU READ YOUR MOTHERBOARD'S USER MANUAL?

Do you really understand what your doing with the different settings in the BIOS?

Look... I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I feel that you're trying to mess with settings that you're not familiar with.

Take it ONE STEP at a time and go slow. Don't try to change all your settings at once if you're not sure about them.

Study, I mean really study the BIOS section of the motherboard manual. When I did my new build a couple of years ago I had the hardest time getting the BIOS settings correct because I hadn't upgraded in over 7 years!! The newer hardware and RAM threw me a curve ball and it took about 8 hours of messing with the frequency, multiplier etc to get it right. (At the time the RAM I was using DID NOT automatically set it's "suggested" timings via the SPD or EPD chip.)

Keep plugging away and you'll get there. But CPU-Z is showing is that you're timings and such are all screwy compared to what your CPU and RAM should be showing.

This is what your CPU shows for standard settings, two channels on RAM equals dual-channel. Enabling the Ganged or Dual Channel mode will double the memory's bandwidth. If you are using 2 - 2GB sticks of RAM the put them in the FIRST TWO slots on the motherboard closest to the CPU socket. Gigabyte labels those slots: DDR3_1 & DDR3_2.

If you'll notice, your CPU's frequency on your system is way off from what AMD says it should be.

Try the "Load Optimized Defaults" setting first in the BIOS, press F10 to Save and Exit the BIOS, reboot and go back to your BIOS and see what the settings are now.

Reaction score
Well this is actually my third rig I have built, and I'm not just punching in numbers in my bios. When I set certain things to manual, such as the DDR3 timing, they automatically show a bunch of improper clocks. The only thing I really changed was the voltage and cycle timing. I have been doing some side web surfing and have come to notice that a lot of people are having issues with this line of RAM and from what I have read online, no one can get their OCZ sticks to run stable at 1600 on my model mobo. I've tried everything, custom timing, default timing, different voltages, I used all the help you guys gave me and even reformatted and re installed my OS. I spent the last month and a half with my computer randomly freezing on me and the endless tweaking of my motherboard with no results. I can't even get this shit to run stable at 1333. Faulty RAM, will not be buying this brand in the future.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
IF you want a great quality and brand of RAM, I highly recommend to use Mushkin Enhanced Blackline. It's EPD chipset on the RAM sticks automatically sets the BIOS to the correct settings, the only thing you may have to tweak would be the DIMM voltage settings. IMushkin is rock solid stable and many ubergeeks highly recommend it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226131

Cas Latency:7
Voltage: 1.65
Multi-channel Kit:
Dual Channel Kit
Recommend Use: High Performance or Gaming Memory
Timing: 7-7-7-20
Heat Spreader: Yes

Features: Engineered for dual-channel architecture.
Equipped with the Frostbyte Heatsink.
Programmed to operate at the ideal frequency for your system when properly installed
Parts:Lifetime limited

You cannot go wrong using this RAM, I have used Kingston, OCZ, Patriot... none come close to the stability and ease of settings.

Reaction score
IF you want a great quality and brand of RAM, I highly recommend to use Mushkin Enhanced Blackline. It's EPD chipset on the RAM sticks automatically sets the BIOS to the correct settings, the only thing you may have to tweak would be the DIMM voltage settings. IMushkin is rock solid stable and many ubergeeks highly recommend it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226131

Cas Latency:7
Voltage: 1.65
Multi-channel Kit:
Dual Channel Kit
Recommend Use: High Performance or Gaming Memory
Timing: 7-7-7-20
Heat Spreader: Yes

Features: Engineered for dual-channel architecture.
Equipped with the Frostbyte Heatsink.
Programmed to operate at the ideal frequency for your system when properly installed
Parts:Lifetime limited

You cannot go wrong using this RAM, I have used Kingston, OCZ, Patriot... none come close to the stability and ease of settings.
Thanks for the support.

Ask a Question