Carbonite not there when needed.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't know what your setup is, but I was just wondering... You're using a service that basically allows theoretically unlimited storage for backups for an annual price (if I'm not mistaken). Are you moving a lot of data to it? I mean, several gigs a day or, say, a hundred every weekend? Is it possible that your ISP mistook your uploads as running a server of some kind (ftp, web, game, ...) and put the kibosh on it?

Maybe try a traceroute and see how far towards their server you're actually getting.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I ask this again:

Anybody here though of Skydrive?

It' s an MSN service which gives you 25BG of free space. It doesn't have any backup features, but I suppose you could keep your backups on there.

Seriously, 25GB for FREE! That's not nothing!

http://www.skydrive.live.com

By the way, you don't need a @live.com or @hotmail.com email. Just enter your own one. Though, in that case, you will have to enter a name and some other infos before beeing able to use the services.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yes, I've heard of it. 25 GB sounds good, until you realize that the max size of each file you upload is 50 MB. Makes it useless for my backup purposes.

Reaction score
I don't know what your setup is, but I was just wondering... You're using a service that basically allows theoretically unlimited storage for backups for an annual price (if I'm not mistaken). Are you moving a lot of data to it? I mean, several gigs a day or, say, a hundred every weekend? Is it possible that your ISP mistook your uploads as running a server of some kind (ftp, web, game, ...) and put the kibosh on it?

Maybe try a traceroute and see how far towards their server you're actually getting.

No, in fact quite the reverse as I was not using it at all when my Windows machine died with "endless boot cycle" saga. Even when it was all running after the initial upload of data for storage not a lot went back and forth as it only changed what was altered if you get my meaning.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, incremental backup.

Perhaps try a traceroute anyway to see if you can reach the server.

I hope it gets fixed soon.

Reaction score
Final outcome. Carbonite is sending me a DVD copy of all my back-up files and also refunding my subscription as they cannot establish why Carbonite will not work on my machine. Carbonite is THE ONLY internet related thing that I cannot get to work on my machine, every other form of upload/download/updates etc, etc works.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did they ever have you try uninstalling that MSE you said was new? Sure sounds like a router or firewall or peer guardian or hosts file is blocking their website / ip address or in/out ports.

Reaction score
Yep, tried running with every firewall turned off and or security program removed or disabled, including MSE.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Maybe Darth Vader messed up Carbonite when he first froze Han Solo in it!

Maybe it was Jabba the Hutt who had Han in storage

Ask a Question