Help Needed--Abnormally Slow

Reaction score
Hi, i am new & desperately need help with my abnormally slow Windows 7. I have a HP Compaq Presario 5521f --- 64bit It says my windows exp.number is 3.2...all scans say nothing wrong, no viruses found etc. RAM is 3.00GB with 2.75GB useable. I have rural high speed which truly isn't highspeed but that doesn't account for the abnormal slowness or other oddities i encounter. I am not very tech savvy but i do know some things, all self taught. Truly computers are an ongoing learning experience. I might add i have a fixed income so i cannot get someone technical or buy a really good program to fix this & no way can i buy a new computer. I have the windows firewall & AVG 2015 To try & fix this problem i have run: Superanti Spyware Pro, CCleaner, Spyware Blaster, Reimage Express & possibly another. I did have Advanced-System Care set up as i had read that it gets along with AVG but have since disabled it. I do know that i need only one good antivirus program as 2 or more can fight against each other. On start it is slow, then anything i try to open doesn't highlight to let me know i have clicked it & it takes too long to open any shortcut i have on my desktop. Chrome is slow opening but going to Facebook, it loads fast but after that pages come up very slow & then so slow that the images don't show, just a little diagram in the upper left corners of where the image should be. On other pages or websites, same thing, all very slow. I have a bloger acct., Flickr & Viewbug for photos but lately i just want to throw the cpomputer out the window as it takes so long to do anything that it just frustrates me & i end up turning it all off. Well there is no sense having a computer like that & i need to try & fix it once & for all. Can anyone help me? PLEASE? I probably have left out a lot of info but whoever gets in touch can ask me to provide what they need in order to help. Thanking you in advance.

Reaction score
Thanx for your suggestion jefboyardee...i will try that & let you know. By the way...when i clicked on the link in my email to come to this page i waited over 2 min. looking at a blue screen...blue i suppose b/c the background on this site is blue...i finally clicked reload on the tab & then it came up. Minutes are very long when waiting.

Reaction score
It sure doesn't do that on my ancient computer, so you must have something going on in there.

Reaction score
jefboyardee i did the autorun orginizer & it only minutely helped. I've since had strange things happen...when i go to shut down or restart the screens all flash...where i had my open folders come up on my task bar the changed to a computer screen icon & i don't like the way that works! I like the folders showing so i can hover on them to see what is open & click the one i want...i don't know why this changed. I find i am often having things change for unknown reasons on me! drives me nuts. Also, windows explorer is always crashing: stopping & restarting...at least 5 times a day if not more.

Reaction score
I just use it to tell me what's loading automatically on startup and I haven't noticed tinkering with anything else, unless I tell it to by taking stuff off the list.. No idea it could cause the mischief you've described.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It still sounds like an infection to me (mostly due to explorer.exe crashing), or you've loaded up too much crap in the background (don't run multiple AV solutions simultaneously), or your hard drive is on its last legs.

Personally, I'd get rid of AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and run HiJackThis & post the log.

Reaction score
It still sounds like an infection to me (mostly due to explorer.exe crashing), or you've loaded up too much crap in the background (don't run multiple AV solutions simultaneously), or your hard drive is on its last legs.

Personally, I'd get rid of AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and run HiJackThis & post the log.
Hi...a friend of mine helped me the other night & i ran sfc/scannow...at first it wouldn't work but he sent me to a page that told me what to do, i did it & then it worked...things did get better....but...i am still having the Explorer crashes & it could still be faster...a lot of pages won't load, they say not available or something but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 refreshes & then they'll load...but who wants to do that. I have Microsoft Security Essentials but i guess i stopped it & tried AVG. I will try what you suggested, that along with Malwarebytes & when i get the Hijack log i will post it for you (cuz i sure won't know what it means! LOL!) Thank you for taking your time.

Reaction score

Here is the log that Hijack gave me:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5
Scan saved at 4:26:05 PM, on 19/05/2015
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17801)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Users\Sue\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2015\avgui.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
C:\Users\Sue\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/CQCON/4
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://g.msn.com/CQCON/4
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0566.0\msneshellx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0566.0\msneshellx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_UI] "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2015\avgui.exe" /TRAYONLY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_39FF5F0A3A3753311386D9B0AA8115FE] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Users\Sue\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" /MINIMIZED
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CCleaner Monitoring] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE64.EXE
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Firewall (avgfws) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2015\avgfws.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2015\avgidsagent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2015\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: dlcg_device - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\dlcgcoms.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate (LiveUpdateSvc) - IObit - C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Realtek Audio Service (RtkAudioService) - Realtek Semiconductor - C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkAudioService64.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: vToolbarUpdater18.4.0 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AVG Secure Search\vToolbarUpdater\18.4.0\ToolbarUpdater.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 8541 bytes

Ask a Question