Can't connect to mIRC using windows 7

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been using windows 7 (64bit) for 2 weeks only, and I found out a problem when I installed mIRC v7.19 which is compatible with windows 7.
It takes longer time to connect to any network.. and the moment I type any command there, I get disconnected. I don't even get any ping replies.

I tried to ping the servers through cmd, but still didn't get replies
I installed different versions of the program but nothing changed.
I dont think its a firewall problem, the program is set to ALLOW by ALL users

Everything else works fine untill now . Hope you guys can help me solve this problem

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I still have an older 7.15 version installed of mIRC, and have had no issues connecting to servers.

I'm honestly not sure where to even start with this, as I don't think it's a program-specific problem. Do other programs still connect fine? Is this a normal, standard connection without proxies? I am wondering if it might be a configuration issue with the server you are trying to connect to.. have you tried connecting to different IRC servers?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you using Windows firewall or do you use an anti-virus software that includes its own firewall? Also are you connecting through a router, because routers can have their own firewall?

If your router, or firewall, or even a program like peerblocker or a bad mirc script is blocking Ping requests from the server then the server will automatically disconnect you because it thinks you lost connection without a clean exit.

Reaction score
I still have an older 7.15 version installed of mIRC, and have had no issues connecting to servers.

I'm honestly not sure where to even start with this, as I don't think it's a program-specific problem. Do other programs still connect fine? Is this a normal, standard connection without proxies? I am wondering if it might be a configuration issue with the server you are trying to connect to.. have you tried connecting to different IRC servers?
I dont think its related to the program itself.. other programs work fine till now. I tried different servers and different networks but i still get the same problem...

Are you using Windows firewall or do you use an anti-virus software that includes its own firewall? Also are you connecting through a router, because routers can have their own firewall?

If your router, or firewall, or even a program like peerblocker or a bad mirc script is blocking Ping requests from the server then the server will automatically disconnect you because it thinks you lost connection without a clean exit.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and my windows firewall is ON. I use a TP-LINK router but it was working fine when i had windows xp installed.
I'm using a clean version of mIRC and I almost know this program's settings or options.. i dont think it has anything to do with this.
Bcoz I tried to run>cmd> and tried to ping the servers from there was no reply.

the servers I tried to piing are punch.dal.net , matrix.dal.net, arcor.dal.net, rapid.dal.net ,

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well punch&rapid didn't work for me either but if you can't ping any of them then it's a good probability your router or firewall are either blocking out-going requests or incoming icmps.

Microsoft Technet

Reaction score
TrainableMan, I got ping replies for the other 2 servers..
but the problem is not solved yet

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then connect to a server with mirc and from the status window type "/raw ping lebguy" (no quotes) and see if you get a PONG reply. If you do then the issue isn't likely blocked server pings.

Reaction score
hey buddy,
I tried logging in from another place.. a different service provider and everything worked fine. Seems the problem is from my ISP.. thanks for your help :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some mideast countries do block certain websites so I'm sure it's possible they could also block ports used for chat software. But it is also possible it could be settings in the modem. If you have one like mine that is supplied by the ISP and includes a built-in router then your ISP may be able to help you adjust those.

Ask a Question