Can't connect to Public Wi-Fi

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The city where I live has offered extended range on their Free Public Wi-Fi, and I'd like to use it. It's an unsecured network, with no password needed, similar to the one that I used for 2 years where I last lived at.

The problem is, I can see it (3 bars), but can't connect. My neighbor allowed me to use hers when I needed to, and it only had 2 bars, yet I was able to connect, and had decent speed. I can still use this connection w/no trouble.

Is there any security settings within Windows 7 that would block (by default) these type of connections? I know that 7 is more secure than previous versions of Windows. I've even added a USB wi-fi adapter, but still no go.

Anyone with experience knows how to connect here? It would tickle me wild if I no longer had to pay for internet, even at a loss of speed.

Any answers would be highly appreciated.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Finally, I found another adapter to install, it worked (after messing with it for a while), but was slow. This service isn't what I had where I previously lived, by a long shot.

On the first connection, you're presented with an Acceptable Use Policy, which limits one to 2 hours of use per day, and the content is filtered also.

I was hoping it was like the one that I had coming from the public library, that I used to my heart's desire for 2 years. The speed was acceptable, and no time limits were imposed. The only restriction was content, but that was no problem, as my upstairs neighbor was seldom home, and didn't have password protection to connect to her router. Personally, I'd be afraid to run a wireless router w/o an encryption key (downloading certain types of media/movies & copyrighted software that's pirated is a crime), this can bite one in their own butt, even if the owner/subscriber of the service had no knowledge of it.

There does happen to be a public library about 3 long blocks away, I'll see if I can get that going. I found a device that may help, and may consider purchase. But first, I need to see if I can connect to it, by walking up the street a bit.

This device may help.

http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/ua600ex.html

Cat

Ask a Question