Best Free Anti-virus

Reaction score
Do you have any good free anti-virus? Share here so we all can enjoy best free virus clean service:eek: . My favorite free ones are avast and iSafe free virus removal tool. Also heard microsoft security essentials performs great.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From what I can find, iSafe is not good antivirus software, it is a keylogger posing as anti-virus software. A keylogger captures your key strokes and sends them to bad people in an attempt to get your passwords, credit card info you enter online, email accounts etc.

Please check our Freeware DB for anti-malware programs including several A/V programs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
From what I can find, iSafe is not antivirus software, it is a keylogger; a keylogger is completely different.

Please check our Freeware DB for anti-malware programs including several A/V programs.
Thanks for your remind and resources:D. I do not know iSafe is a keylogger and it works well so far. Maybe i should removed it if i found anything wrong with it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I see several sites listing how to delete this "malware", including BleepingComputer so I would avoid it completely and I suggest you follow Bleeping Computers instructions on how to delete it.

Reaction score
Hello ~

Personally .. I would SUGGEST .. Avast..

HOWEVER, MSE IS a good bit of software ... It's a light software ALTERNATIVE to 3rd party(Norton, mcafee, etc.) software ..

And yes .. take iSafe 'Out by its toenails" so to speak ..

TM has it right ;)
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
MSE , Avira, Kav is best all of them. also AVG and bitdefender is quite good.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've been using MSE for nearly 4 years on all my systems with no problems. And I know there have been no problems because I also have Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) on my systems which I use for periodic supplemental scanning to ensure neither MSE or me let something bad through. And thus far, nothing has made it past MSE.

avinashj said:
but i would recommend you not to use free ones go and buy professional version if you are always stuck to the internet.
Yeah, I disagree. You don't need to pay for a security program for as noted, there are several fully capable free anti-malware solutions out there. And you especially don't need to pay for a program that requires you to periodically pay again, and again, for renewals, and again for major upgrades. Those are rip-offs in my opinion.

As for being "stuck to the Internet" - sorry, but I don't buy that either. Why? Because unless you connect via dial-up, or have no Internet connection, your computer is CONSTANTLY "stuck to" or connected to the Internet and your system is constantly checking for updates, new email, etc. You don't have to have your browser open to be connected to the Internet.

Therefore, you only need a good anti-malware solution and a free one will do fine, as well as a decent firewall, and Windows Firewall is just fine too - and already on our systems. After that you MUST ensure your Windows, your browser, and your security is kept fully updated, and you the user (always the weakest link in security) must avoid risky behavior (like being click happy on unsolicited downloads, attachments and links, or participating in illegal file sharing via Torrents and P2P sites).

The only anti-malware program I recommend you consider paying for is MBAM Pro because it has a well established history of playing well with other anti-malware solutions without causing conflicts or hogging resources. Plus, the cost is very reasonable (with frequent deep-discounted promotions) with NO upgrade or renewal fees - ever.

Note too that MSE is even free for use on up to 10 computers in a small business.

Reaction score
for free antivirus software, but i would recommend you not to use free ones go and buy professional version if you are always stuck to the internet.
Nope, i will not buy any charged anti-virus software, will not waste money on it.
all these years i have been running free antivirus and nothing significant happens.

Reaction score
I've always used Avast Free Anti-Virus which seems very effective. It updates it's database regularly without any intervention on my part. I did try the paid version but never used the extra facilities so went back to the free version.
Rachel

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I did try the paid version but never used the extra facilities so went back to the free version.
[rant on]

That's the problem with the paid versions - they try to become total suites with all sorts of extras to make them stand apart from all the other perfectly good anti-malware solutions - extras that consume disk space and eat RAM and CPU resources while providing absolutely no value to the consumer - or most consumers, anyway.

What I REALLY don't like is these companies often work with PC and motherboard makers to include "trial" versions of their suites with new motherboards, and often pre-install them on their new PCs. They then get the consumer feeling secure with the trial version (and they ARE secure as they are effective security programs). But when the trial period comes to an end, they use often intimidating scare tactics to convince these (often inexperienced) users to plunk down their hard-earned money or they will become hopelessly infected with malware that will steal their identities, data, and all their passwords to their bank accounts. :( This often targets the elderly who only have a computer because they want to stay in contact with their families.

Then the last straw is they make it extremely difficult to remove their program if you decide to go with something else. And to me, if a program cannot easily and thoroughly be uninstalled via standard uninstall procedures, that program was (1) poorly and/or lackadaisically coded in the first place, or (2) intentionally made difficult so users will fear removing it. Either way that tells me to avoid that product maker.

Now granted, I understand anti-malware programs need to set deep hooks in the kernel and need to block unauthorized attempts at removal or disabling, but the authorized administrator properly logged in should not be hindered from uninstalling the program, and all the extra bloat foisted on our systems when it was installed.

[rant off]

Reaction score
Free anti-virus is always worthy. you do not click misleading links from unknown site or ads, do not install bad software, then you will not infected with virus.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Free anti-virus is always worthy.
That's an absolute statement - so I have to disagree with it.

There are dozens (100s? 1000s?) of rogue and malicious [so-called] security programs out there that are worthy of total condemnation, and their creators and distributors worthy of being taken out back and shot!

It is easy to say, "do not install bad software" and certainly the user (always the weakest link in security) must avoid risky behavior - like being click happy with unsolicited downloads, attachments and links - but you still need a good anti-malware solution (free or paid) to CYA because "social engineering" tactics - the most prolific method of distributing malicious code - is so successful at misleading and tricking (even the most experienced) users into downloading and running malicious code.

So while there are plenty of "good" free programs out there, free is NOT, by ANY means, "always worthy".

Ask a Question