After Windows 7 update bluetooth doesn't work anymore.

Reaction score
he problem appeared in two different laptops (Lenovo and Fujitsu). The bluetooth hardware is not visible in device manager anymore, but unrecognized device appeared. Driver reinstall doesn't help. Driver installation setup says there is no bluetooth hardware.
PC Suite is installed , worked fine before.

How to restore bluetooth?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows updates are not perfect at matching hardware and sometimes they give you the wrong driver. You could try going to control panel\device manager; find your bluetooth device and open the properties window. Under the Driver tab tell it to roll-back driver.

Then manually go to windows update and if the bluetooth driver is there then right-click and select "hide permanently".

Reaction score
The 'roll back' option is not available there (disabled). Is ther a way to restore it manually? I guess some generic Win driver has gone wrong. Present drivewr for the "unknown device" is 'usbfulter.sys'.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If there is no rollback then there wasn't an "old" driver for that device. As for the unknown device - try uninstalling it, remove the bluetooth usb, reboot.

Do you have an actual driver disk that came with your device or did it always use W7 generic? If you have drivers then put in the disk when you hit the desktop sign-in after reboot has posted.

Reaction score
This is a laptop built in bluetooth. At some moment my bluetooth device disappeared and cannot be detected in the system, but unknown usb device appeared.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just try uninstall and then reboot. When it comes up with new hardware, allow it to search the internet.

Reaction score
Can you try to roll back to any previous system restore point?

If you already uninstalled the bluetooth in order to force the system to reinstall the drivers, generic or not, I would say that you have now one of two options:

- Uninstall from device manager the full usb devices;
or
- Go into registry and delete every reference to bluetooth:

or maybe even both :D

I am sure all of us had problems like this in the past, it happened to me once with my webcam and another time with my wireless adapter.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you tried installing the latest Bluetooth driver for your model notebook from the notebook's manufacturer's website?

Reaction score
Yes, I've tried this. The manufacturer's driver gets stuck during installation not finding any bluetooth hardware.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since you say this happened on 2 laptops at the same time I ruled out hardware failure so my suggestion, though quite a bit of work, would be ...

1) If you have an old system image prior to the problem you could try a complete system restore (back-up all your data you've changed first) from your back-up.
2) Use Windows Easy Transfer to back up your userids/data and then do a complete reinstall of the OS and then use WET again to restore your userids/data.

Then ...
If this is successful disable automatic updates. Manually go to Win Update and permanently hide any related to bluetooth and, for now, also the SP1 service pack.
Install the rest and reboot - verify you are still working.
Create a system restore image on a back-up drive or DVDs.
Unhide SP1 and install that - Reboot and verify you still have bluetooth.
At this point you should be up-to-date and bluetooth updates are permanently hidden.
Now you are working and up-to-date ... Good time to take another system restore image :)

or options 3 or 4
3) buy a temporary little usb bluetooth receiver to plug into the outside usb slot. I don't know how many Zloty's it would cost but here we can get one for about US$12
4) hope Microsoft fixes it

Reaction score
Eventually Fujitsu went to service as it stopped booting even from CD and USB. Had MOBO replaced. Came back yesterday had win 7 installed. Everything was fine till I installed Nokia Ovi and tried to use Bluetooth. Then the same hapenned - first USB unknown device than no boot at all. I am desperate - I dont believe this is hardware (2 mobos?) but I can't access the machine at all. If this was software it should boot from Win 7 DVD - but it hangs displaying 'starting windows'. I can access BIOS setup and I can boot only some DOS emergency boot CD allowing me to copy or erase whole disc, but I can't reinstall OS. Please help!

Reaction score
please help!

Eventually Fujitsu went to service as it stopped booting even from CD and USB. Had MOBO replaced. Came back yesterday had win 7 installed. Everything was fine till I installed Nokia Ovi and tried to use Bluetooth. Then the same hapenned - first USB unknown device than no boot at all. I am desperate - I dont believe this is hardware (2 mobos?) but I can't access the machine at all. If this was software it should boot from Win 7 DVD - but it hangs displaying 'starting windows'. I can access BIOS setup and I can boot only some DOS emergency boot CD allowing me to copy or erase whole disc, but I can't reinstall OS. Please help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Perhaps there is a defect in the actual USB hardware that is shorting out your boards when you plug in the USB device. If you unplug the USB devices can you get the machine to boot to safe mode?

Ask a Question