Acer Laptop Screen Problems

Reaction score
Hi,I have an Acer 5734Z whose screen goes black intermittently.If I shine a torch at the screen I can see the normal screen.I have changed the cable to the LCD display and also the inverter.The new inverter direct from Acer didnot work at all so replaced the original.The screen flickers and goes off.Opening and closing the lid occasionally brings it on and it stays on although I cannot rely on this to happen all the time.I have set the power options to never turn the display off but on closing the lid the display does go off.Is there a sensor on the base that could be intermittent ? If so where is it ? Incidently with an external monitor connected the pc works fine all the time. Is it a new LCD panel ?
Any suggestions would be very helpful and stop me pulling my hair out !!!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
on closing the lid the display does go off
There is an internal switch connected to the hinge mechanism that turns off the display. ALL notebook computers are setup that way.

As far as I know of, there is not a method to turn-off this feature.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Incidently with an external monitor connected the pc works fine all the time.

If I shine a torch at the screen I can see the normal screen
Smart move! Your flashlight ("torch" on your side of the big pond) test proved the problem is the inverter and/or CCFL (fluorescent tube) for your display, and not the display itself, or the clamshell case.

Is it a new LCD panel ?
No. The fact you can see the image by shining your flashlight at the screen means the display panel itself if still good. And the fact the external monitor works fine proves your graphics solution is good too.

Replacing the inverters and CCFL are common tasks performed often at computer repair shops. The parts are typically around $100 (give or take $50 - depending on availability and screen size). And labor is typically 1 hour, 2 at the most.

If you are handy with your hands, you can replace them yourself. But personally, if not experienced tearing apart electronics (and putting it back together in the right order, with no left over parts) then having someone else do it (someone you can yell at, and hold liable besides yourself if something goes wrong) may be your best bet.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59794163/62/Removing-the-Inverter-Board

Reaction score
Hi Digerati,Thanks very much for your info.I have found the screen switch off magnet,stuck to the inside of the screen surround.I have tried a stronger magnet but only flickers on for a short time.I am looking into replacing the CCFL if it is not part and parcel of the complete LCD screen.All the best Tonebone

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru2012, Thanks for your info.I eventually discovered a magnet stuck to the innerside of the screen surround. When closed it is directly above the switch which you toggle for external or internal screen.I cannot locate the switch it operates on the motherboard,its not obvious.Have tried a Bioflow magnet (one I use on my wrist for arthritus) and managed to get sceen to illuminate for a few seconds.I think it is probably the screen which is intermittent as I have changed the cable and inverter. All the best Tonebone board.

Reaction score
not to intrude here, sounds like the brightness control is shorting out.

Ask a Question