acer laptop crashing but not blue screen of death

Reaction score
hello all,
i have an acer aspire 4736g since almost 2 years. recently, it has been crashing unexpectedly. sometimes, i would use it for a whole night and then it would suddenly crash.. at other times, it would crash after 15 mins of use. i went to get it fixed and the guy said it was my motherboard. so i got a new motherboard instead and reformatted the laptop.

however, recently the laptop is starting to crash again. what i have noticed is that it crashes and shuts down automatically when i am on websites such as youtube, skype. even when im listening to songs on windows media player, it might crash later.

when it crashes, there is no blue screen of death. instead it just crashes and shuts down without prior notice. then i need to press the button to start it again and i get a black screen asking me whether i want to start windows in safe mode etc.. usually, i start it normally.

i would really appreciate if anyone out here could help me out please. its very important. thanking you

Reaction score
Two things come to mind right away....first, possible overheating issue. I always use and recommend an external laptop fan..chill mat or chill pad. Second, make sure to blow out all your ports on your laptop, especially the intake and exhaust fans and make sure there is no dust or lent build up or that something has gotten in there and stopped the fan.

Also check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your laptop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is still crashing so make sure mini dump files are enabled and then zip up those dmp files and attach them. See BSOD help instructions HERE and it includes a link to a tutorial if you are not getting dump files.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
hello all,
i have an acer aspire 4736g since almost 2 years. recently, it has been crashing unexpectedly. sometimes, i would use it for a whole night and then it would suddenly crash.. at other times, it would crash after 15 mins of use. i went to get it fixed and the guy said it was my motherboard. so i got a new motherboard instead and reformatted the laptop.

however, recently the laptop is starting to crash again. what i have noticed is that it crashes and shuts down automatically when i am on websites such as youtube, skype. even when im listening to songs on windows media player, it might crash later.

when it crashes, there is no blue screen of death. instead it just crashes and shuts down without prior notice. then i need to press the button to start it again and i get a black screen asking me whether i want to start windows in safe mode etc.. usually, i start it normally.

i would really appreciate if anyone out here could help me out please. its very important. thanking you

Might want to take a look in event viewer to see if anything related is logged there

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Event viewer (local) and look for the critical errors listed in the last day, week, etc. Then go to the windows log>application tab. Finally the windows Logs>system tabs.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Reactions: JMH

Ask a Question