64bit Windows 7 Upgrade Freeze Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been using 64bit Vista Home Premium for the past couple of years and decided to upgrade to 64bit Windows 7 Home premium via disc

I have updated all the drivers I could find, and even uninstalled programs that would conflict with W7. Disabled my virus protection but did not disable my firewall.

Prior to this I did have a video card issue that was solved by updating the Video card driver.

The Problem:
I have attempted these while I was at work or overnight so I am unsure when this even happens but the result is always the same. I will get to the second reboot before it goes to the 3rd step "expanding files" then the screen will shut off and I cannot wake it up with keyboard or mouse, the Disc sounds like its spinning at top speed, the orange "working light" on the CPU tower is constant and doesnt blink. The only way to stop this is for me to do a hard shutdown with the power button.

When I restart the computer, it says that the update was unsuccessful and starts up Vista again. Atleast I am glad that I can get the computer functioning again.

What I have done but got the same result: Played with the power settings to disable sleep, Display off to never, and increased Hard drive turn off to 2000minutes from 20minutes.

Please help me

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Don't do an upgrade install. Instead do a clean install with the disc. It works and is much faster and easier.

Many users have experienced problems doing the upgrade install over Vista and it takes a long time, about an hour or more.

Reaction score
Yes, I would have to agree with Nibiru2012 I would back up your important files and do a clean install. Less headache in the long run.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
genesis1, thank you for you ideas but this particular thread is over 3 years old.

Forum etiquette would ask that you please not post to threads that have not been active in the last 90 days unless it is a significant addition to the existing posts.

I have closed this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question