SOLVED Windows7 64bits upgrade to 32bits

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got a new PC that has Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium coz My Vista machine had crashed due to hard disk failures.

I use my pc to delevelopp VB applications but I still hv clients runniing the old VB3 and old Crystal Reports 4 (16 bit apps)

I was surprissed to notice I cannot install VB3 on Win 7 64bits.

I would like to know what are my alternatives ?

1) Can anything be installed on Win 7 64bits to run my 16 bits apps ?
2) Can I upgrade (downgrade) to Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate 32bits from the Windows 7 Home Premuim 64bits ? If yes will my 16 bit apps will work like on Vista ??

Appreciate any hellp as my old pc is down and can't use the new one !!!!
Rgds/Jack

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Jack,
Welcome to the windows 7 forums.
Firstly, 64-bit windows 7 will not run 16-bit applications (it lacks a 16-bit subsystem).
So, I think your best shot is to use XP Mode, as, if I remember correctly, the guest Windows XP is always a 32bit version.
You could do so by doing an Upgrade to Professional 64bit, though you might be able to download VMLite and XP mode for free, but I'm not sure about if it will be 32 or 64bit. I'll ask someone on the forum to help you with that, since I am not the best in that section.

By the way, I suppose your using a PC with Windows 7 preinstalled?

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's how I upgraded my original install, was through the Windows Anytime Upgrade, in the Start Menu. You click onto it, your options are given. Pro runs $89+tax, Ultimate runs $139+tax. It's every bit the same Windows 7 Pro that you buy off the shelf, except it's only good on the computer it's installed on. Plus, if something happens and you have to reinstall your original OS, your Anytime Upgrade key is still good. You simply key it back in. The whole upgrade process took me less than 10 minutes. That entitles you to Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. And now, the hardware requirement is no longer there, you simply download a separate update, you're in business. But not only do you get XP Mode, there are about five other benefits to having Pro (there's a chart to compare features at the upgrade site). And as always, the status that's attached to having Pro over Home, that can't be left out. BTW jack, welcome to the forum! I hope that you enjoy your stay here, and get your issue worked out soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thk v much to all of you and appreciate your suggestion to upgrade using Windows Anytime Upgrade.

My question is that I want the maximum options with the minimum problems Do your think upgrading to Ultimate 64bits is my best bet or Pro 64bits ?
Will all my 16bits old stuff will run with no problem ???

Tks to advise
Jack

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thk v much to all of you and appreciate your suggestion to upgrade using Windows Anytime Upgrade.

My question is that I want the maximum options with the minimum problems Do your think upgrading to Ultimate 64bits is my best bet or Pro 64bits ?
Will all my 16bits old stuff will run with no problem ???

Tks to advise
Jack
What I allready has a much bigger chance of working, because you'll be running
Windows XP, and Windows Xp does support 16bit apps.
Both upgrades to pro or ultimate have XP Mode, but the cheaper is pro. Though, if you want to keep some features of home premium that you lose with pro (media center...), then the best is Ultimate.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Tks fire Cat for pointing out the diffrence between Pro/Ultimate.

My last question would be is it better to buy a full Pro/Ultimate version and install it from scratch or use the upgrade from Home to Pro/Ultimate ? My IT does not like Upgrades as proveen over time to cause issues they prefer fresh install.

Bearing in mind this is a brand new pc and nothing has been run on it except office 2003 and VB6. ALways not favor new installations as it ruins the pre-installed OS with all its drivers and features that sometimes are headeackes to get to original state !

On an other forum I got this advise also
If you upgrade to Professional/Ultimate 64 bit, you can get XP Mode - which is an XP Virtual Machine running in Virtual PC that integrates its applications with the Windows 7 start menu. It works pretty good, but the Virtual PC apps can take a while to load, especially if the Virtual machine is "powered off" (windows then has to start it). Additionally, you need a computer that supports Hardware Virtualization for XP Mode (though I've heard recently they were releasing a patch that would remove that requirement - though without it, the virtual machine will run slower).
unquote

Do you see any issue with this ? will it slow my work ??? If yes then I might as well Install Vista Pro 32bits as all my software were working on vista Home (although we all know the troubles and headackes of Vista !!!)

Your suggestion much appreciated.
rgds/Jack

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Jack,
If you upgrade to Professional/Ultimate 64 bit, you can get XP Mode - which is an XP Virtual Machine running in Virtual PC that integrates its applications with the Windows 7 start menu
Not too sure about that.

Anyway, if you allready have a version of windows 7 which works without problems, the cheapest, fastest and most practical way is to do an upgrade.

You could do a fresh install, but that could cost up to 150$ more than an upgrade and you'd have to deal with documents, settings and of course, just setting up the machine. So if I were you I'd stick with an upgrade.

Then, just install Virtual PC and run XP mode, and you should be in business!
The guest OS might run slower than on a normal machine, but only slightly. I find best to give XP mode 1GB of ram, and that didn't affect my 32bit machine, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Ok fine Fire Cat.

Let's summ it up I think I'll b upgrading to Ultimate which is my best bet. Once done, could u pls give me an exact link on where to go and what to get so my 16bits pgms can work with no problem on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits ?

rgds/Jack

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Tks fire Cat for pointing out the diffrence between Pro/Ultimate.

My last question would be is it better to buy a full Pro/Ultimate version and install it from scratch or use the upgrade from Home to Pro/Ultimate ? My IT does not like Upgrades as proveen over time to cause issues they prefer fresh install.

Bearing in mind this is a brand new pc and nothing has been run on it except office 2003 and VB6. ALways not favor new installations as it ruins the pre-installed OS with all its drivers and features that sometimes are headeackes to get to original state !

On an other forum I got this advise also
If you upgrade to Professional/Ultimate 64 bit, you can get XP Mode - which is an XP Virtual Machine running in Virtual PC that integrates its applications with the Windows 7 start menu. It works pretty good, but the Virtual PC apps can take a while to load, especially if the Virtual machine is "powered off" (windows then has to start it). Additionally, you need a computer that supports Hardware Virtualization for XP Mode (though I've heard recently they were releasing a patch that would remove that requirement - though without it, the virtual machine will run slower).
unquote

Do you see any issue with this ? will it slow my work ??? If yes then I might as well Install Vista Pro 32bits as all my software were working on vista Home (although we all know the troubles and headackes of Vista !!!)

Your suggestion much appreciated.
rgds/Jack
Hi Jack, this upgrade is not like upgrading Windows 7 over Vista. All versions of Windows 7 have the same features built in, you only have to purchase a key to "unlock" them with. Don't get this confused with these other upgrades, I have it myself, problem free, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The only difference, as I've already stated, is that the upgrade lives and dies with the computer it's installed on, just as a OEM install does. I hope this clarifies things for you, I have the same thing myself, and nothing has to be reinstalled afterwards.

Reaction score
install a virtual machin & install any version of windows that your program or application run on it.

enjoy!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
install a virtual machin & install any version of windows that your program or application run on it.

enjoy!
It's not that simple.
1. Go to the link Clifford gave.
2. Go to the download page.
3. Select your OS and Langugage.
4. Download and Install XP Mode, then Virtual PC and then the XP Mode update.
5. In start menu go to: All Programs > Virtual PC > XP Mode
6. That should normally start XP Mode.

There.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have the disks or can find it to download or barrow then your 64bit license can legally be used on a 32bit install w/o cost. In fact from what I have read it even entitles you to install Vista at that same level "home". But these will require fresh installs and you may have driver issues with your hardware (sounds, video, etc).

That being said I would consider the anytime upgrade to Pro and using Virtual XP. I'll be honest, I believe you should look at the very few benefits Ultimate gives you before deciding going beyond Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Unless you need bit locker I wouldn't recommend the extra money. For the most part products like Office allow you to load other language resources so unless you want all of windows in another language I see very little use for the second Ultimate "extra".

When Vista came out they promised all these extras with Ultimate and there were very few if any of value. The biggest effect of owning Vista Ultimate was that if you wanted to upgrade to Windows 7, w/o reinstalling each and every program, then you had to pay the extra and get Windows 7 Ultimate. It will likely be the same with Windows 8.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is more than one Virtualization software available. However XP Mode only works with Virtual PC. With that said, any Virtualization software will allow you to install any version of XP, with the exception XP will not be as integrated with the OS as XP Mode would be through Virtual PC.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I see you from another forum you have gone Ultimate already, hopefully you can use the Bitlocker feature.

BTW, Firecat, Win 7 Pro DOES include Media Center, at least in the states, though it must be installed along with Windows Media Player 12. If you delete WMP12 from the install because you plan to use an old version or a competing product then Media Center is not installed either because it says it requires parts of WMP.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
And there is VMLite. Though will that be 32bit? If it is, then that would probably be a free alternative to upgrading to Pro or Ultimate. Though as Clifford said, the XP Mode wouldn't be intergrated into windows 7. Though, it is probably easier to run apps in MS XP Mode than in VMLite, so I would stick with an upgrade, as you did.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There is more than one Virtualization software available. However XP Mode only works with Virtual PC. With that said, any Virtualization software will allow you to install any version of XP, with the exception XP will not be as integrated with the OS as XP Mode would be through Virtual PC.
VMLite uses the same XP Mode as Windows Virtual PC does, except you don't need Pro or above to obtain it. However, Windows Virtual PC is far better than VMLite is. But, if one cannot afford Pro, then VMLite would be a good solution for them. Just don't expect the performance to be the same.

Reaction score
VMLite uses the same XP Mode as Windows Virtual PC does, except you don't need Pro or above to obtain it.
Thanks catilley :)
If that's the case can you say for sure XP Mode will not work with other VM's. I was only going by what I've read elsewhere.

Ask a Question