SOLVED 4GB RAM or 2GB Midrange Graphics card?

Reaction score
What will be better option for increasing overall performance. My usage includes 3d rendering, video editing and casual gaming. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
You are not looking at the main contributor. Memory without processing power will get you nowhere.

Reaction score
I am not building a pc. I am just trying to upgrade it to run latest software. My processor is Pentium Dual Core E5700 3.0 Ghz and has Video Ram of 768Mb . The system is 4yrs old. Also budget plays an important role since I am just a student.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're doing lots of video editing and 3d rendering, then I'd go for memory over a new graphics card - especially if you're only doing casual gaming.

That said, if you can post your full specs (including how much ram and which video card you have), then we can help make a more informed decision :).

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My specs
Motherboard: Asus P5G41T M LX3
CPU: Pentium Dual Core E5700 3.0 Ghz
Integrated Graphics: Intel G41 express chipset
Dedicated Video RAM : 64MB
RAM: Kingston 2GB valueram

Also Ram usage reaches 99% at startup. I have disabled all the unwanted startups. Only utorrent,Malwarebytes,kaspersky,ccleaner opens at startup It seems that svchost.exe uses about 765 MB of my ram.So please give me suggestions for my upgrade:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using the integrated graphics card or do you have a separate one (if so, which model)? The only reason I ask is that in post #3 you mention 768MB video RAM, rather than the 64MB dedicated video RAM.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No problem, it's just good that we can provide the right help :).

I don't know a huge amount about 3D rendering, but unless you're willing to spend a decent amount on a graphics card (either one designed for rendering, or an NVIDIA one with plenty of CUDA cores) then it may be worth investing in RAM instead. How much are you looking to spend?

Reaction score
I hear some application are brand specific, because of the technology they are designed to use. Don't get an AMD if your applications are designed to use Cuda cores. And vice versa don't get nVidia if your applications are designed to use tech that AMD shines in.

For a temporary solution you could get a GPU for about $150. That shouldn't be bottle-necked too badly. Just make sure it is the best brand for the application you are using. But in my opinion you need a newer platform than LGA775. The LGA775 platform is dated, especially with a dual core CPU. Even using a GPU for processing you still need a better CPU than Pentium Dual Core. Intel's latest i3's are on par or better than a Core2 Quad.

Ohh and don't forget the Power Supply Unit. Anytime you get a stronger GPU, your PSU may need to be checked to see if it is strong enough to push the GPU. A 300W PSU will limit your options even farther.

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you but my budget is only around 50-70$. 150$ is way too much for me. I am not planning on a new pc for the time being since my budget is very tight

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're able to pick up components second hand, you may be able to get an additional 2GB RAM and an improved dedicated graphics card for that sort of money. :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Be aware, should you upgrade your RAM, that your mobo is rated for 1033Mhz RAM in which case it is likely that the memory already in it is 1033 if it came with the machine. While you can theoretically buy RAM with higher clock and have it work, it may not work if paired with the 1033 as sometimes the downcycling causes timing problems. I mention this in case you buy another 2 GB of 1333 Mhz, put it in, and wonder why it doesn't work. If you can't find straight up 1066 RAM then I'd buy at least a 4GB stick so you can remove the old RAM and run the new solo if need be. At any rate your board's max is 8.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question