SOLVED Would 4GB + 2GB DDR3 work in dual channel?

Reaction score
Hi,I have decided to upgrade my RAM since the performance is very low. I am planning to buy a 4GB Kingston Value RAM DDR3-1333/PC3-10600 DIMM. My MB is ASUS P5G41T-M-LX3 and it has dual channel support. Except the size of RAM every other parameters(frequency,Latencies,etc) are the same. My question is that will the rams work in dual channel mode.
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
You will need the same size memory for both sticks in Dual Channel. Only the first 2GB of the 4GB module could be addressed in Dual Channel Mode. The second 2GB is what would prevent you from initializing Dual Channel mode with that configuration.

Reaction score
Thanks for the immediate reply
So you are saying that the excess 2GB will not be accessible the OS

Reaction score
No I'm saying that both stick need to be the same size or Dual Channel will not enable, to prevent that scenario you just mentioned. I apologize for the confusion.

Reaction score
So you are saying that is better to add 2x2GB sticks than a 4GB and 2GB stick.If it so will it offer the same performance as 6GB or will there be any losses.
Sorry for the inconvinience

Reaction score
Either 2x2 or 4x4 if you want dual channel. As for performance that would depend on how much memory you actually need. I assume since you are currently only using 2GB, that 4GB total would be fine for you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.But 4GB wont be enough since I use programs like PTC Creo 5.0,ANSYS,etc in a daily basis.So I guess I should go for 2x4 GB.Does dual channel show any significant increase in performance. Is it really worth the money spent?

Reaction score
To be honest I don't think the performance loss is all that great. You may be fine without having dual channel.

Ask a Question