Your broadband speed/type?

What sort of internet connection do you have?

• Dialup/ISDN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <1Mbps

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 1-3Mbps

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 4-9Mbps

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 10-19Mbps

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 20-49Mbps

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 50+ Mbps

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with Thrax on his point, it's the same way here. If you're a homeowner, you have several choices in this area. If you live in an apartment, it's Time Warner or AT&T. AT&T will screw you, I know firsthand. Time Warner will give you a deal, but only if you include phone, cable and internet together. All three services together is less than AT&T's phone / internet package alone, not counting all of their surcharges and fees. Earthlink is even offered here, though it's pricey. I've been getting some mail from a company called Clear. They have 4G service (wireless), but the modem is very pricey and a long term contract is required. 4G must be something new, the cell providers offers 3G only. Clear claims to have the ultimate in speed, but I don't know anyone who has it.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I rented an apartment in San Antonio, and there were a few options in terms of cable connection. I chose between Roadrunner and Earthlink, but here's the thing: both of them used Time Warner Cable for the actual service. So, while I was an Earthlink customer, it was TWC that billed me. However it was Earthlink that decided on how much. Still with me?

There was no need for me to get service directly from TWC. What I did instead was I called Earthlink and told them I wanted to close my account. They asked me why, I said I'm switching to Roadrunner. Which I was fully prepared to do, it didn't make any difference to me which company I was with, it was the same price and connection... Except that the guy in India always offered me six months half price to keep me with Earthlink. Which I was more than happy to do. And about six or seven months later, we'd revisit the subject with the same result.

Reaction score
Nominally, up to 8 Meg, they (Talktalk my ISP) say. Seldom gets close to this, usually about half that, but enough for my needs - and it's cheap in comparison with the competition here in the UK.

Johnboy

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Nominally, up to 8 Meg, they (Talktalk my ISP) say. Seldom gets close to this, usually about half that, but enough for my needs - and it's cheap in comparison with the competition here in the UK.

Johnboy
Thankfully the competition here in the UK keeps our prices down :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You get Earthlink through Time Warner is this area, too. Being that my phone is with them too, I can't get Earthlink separately. Time Warner has reasonable prices, as long as you stay within their packages. I pay $117 (including all taxes) for my three services. To get Earthlink, you have to break the package and pay around $200/monthly for all. That's too much for me. But what I have is far better than the service from Verizon Wireless, costs less, far more faster, and no cap.

Reaction score
also i believe the options for the poll are wrong.
shouldnt it be more like
1-4
5-10
11-20
21-30
Well Faun, I would change that to this, due to the fact that on a good day I can pull 33-34Mbps down, 26-29 when things are bad:

<1
1-4
5-10
11-25
26-35
35+

Anyway I have Comcast Cable, costs about $50-$60/month for this and phone. Though, I will admith that my upload speed sucks compared to the dload.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Here in Austin TX one is able to get RoadRunner or AT&T DSL as a standalone install. Plus they don't gig ya too bad for just one service.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes, good point - I'll clarify the options now :)

I just added those options as bands, as there are so many possible speeds (common ones being 0.5,1,2,4,8,10,12,15,20,25,40,50Mbps for broadband alone) - so 10MB would go in the 10-19 range :)
Nothing too wrong with the options, but perhaps in most cases, readers of this thread are aware that most providers put in that dreadful catch phrase "up to".

I subscribe to (up to) 4 (all I can afford) On infrequent observation, I have never got more than 2 .3/4

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I pay for 20mb but get around 17mb ... so I dont feel to put out.

Reaction score
ADSL2+ here with voip package. My speed varies but average is in the 4-9 range.

Mike

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
One procedure that can help with your speed is power cycling your Router/DSL/CableModem (its just a posh word for saying unplug and plug it back in) done about every 7 - 10 days will keep things clear and one time in 7 - 10 days wont get your ISP thinking there is a fault and start buggering about with your line. Power down your PC then the Router disconnect from Router and the phone line leave it 30 seconds to a minute plug everything back in switch on the Router (and let the lights settle down) boot your PC.

Note - After power cycling your wireless router, you might need to manually reestablish a wireless connection with some of the PCs in the network. Open the Wireless Network Connection, click your wireless network, and then click the Connect button.</B>

Ask a Question