SOLVED WOOPS!!

Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to reference this thread: https://www.w7forums.com/recovery-partition-t7653.html

It was on a different topic but in my attempt to do what I wanted (get rid of the recovery partition), I set the OS partition as active, instead of the recovery partition. What I didn't know was W7 puts the boot manager on the recovery partition... so it no longer being the "active" partition has rendered my brand new laptop (that I spent the last 24 hours copying my data to) unbootable.

I assume that I can simply do a reinstall of Windows 7 and it'll basically repair this? I won't have to do a clean install (i.e. format, lose all my data, etc. etc.) right? Are there any boot capable utilities from which I can just set the recovery partition as active again?

I'm such a doofus... LOL

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Can you boot into safe mode?

Did the Dell come with the Windows 7 dvd?

Does it have a recovery partition (not the 100mb boot part.) but like a 5GB partition?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Run a startup repair from the Win7 DVD if you have one. It will fix it. You may have to run it consecutive times.

If you don't have one, then download and burn gparted to disc. Boot to it and set the correct partition active on the hdd with it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What I didn't know was W7 puts the boot manager on the recovery partition...
Windows 7 does not do that on clean installs, it's DELL who's doing it. As usual leave it to DELL foul up things.

If the startup repair does not work, I highly recommend doing a fresh clean install, you'll be able to fully experience Windows 7 without all the gunk DELL throws in with their installs.

Your existing product key will work too. Let us know if you need more help.

Reaction score
yodap said:
Can you boot into safe mode?
Nope... no boot manager for windows so no ability to boot into anything Windows.

yodap said:
Did the Dell come with the Windows 7 dvd?
Yep

yodap said:
Does it have a recovery partition (not the 100mb boot part.) but like a 5GB partition?
There was a roughly 200gb partition and then a 32gb partition. The larger was labeled "Recovery" and when I went to unmark it active it warned me it was a boot partition. Unfortunately my brain said "well that doesn't make any sense, the partition with W7 on it would be the boot partition" so I clicked ok.

I have no clue what the 32gb partition was/is. It just said it was healthy blah blah. No label etc.

yodap said:
Can you get into the BIOS?
Yup

TorrentG said:
Run a startup repair from the Win7 DVD if you have one. It will fix it. You may have to run it consecutive times.
Ok that's what I was thinking I'd have to do. All I need is for the partition to be marked active again and all will be fine.

TorrentG said:
If you don't have one, then download and burn gparted to disc. Boot to it and set the correct partition active on the hdd with it.
Groovy! That's what I was looking for as a back-up (a partition manager I could boot into).

Nibiru2012 said:
Windows 7 does not do that on clean installs, it's DELL who's doing it. As usual leave it to DELL foul up things.
HRMF!

Nibiru2012 said:
If the startup repair does not work, I highly recommend doing a fresh clean install, you'll be able to fully experience Windows 7 without all the gunk DELL throws in with their installs.
That will be my very last option. I literally spent 24 hours copying all my data to this machine. I had to let it sit that long to get all my photos, etc. over. I realllllly don't wanna waste time doing it again. But... if it comes down to it, I'll live. :)

Nibiru2012 said:
Your existing product key will work too. Let us know if you need more help.
Oh my gosh it BETTER! LOL!