Windows Virtual PC - the real deal!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
After using so many different VM's, I had always wanted to see what Microsoft's is like. I didn't know if it was a bang or bust, and just had to see for myself. So first, I used the Anytime Upgrade to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, after I ran the tool that shows whether your hardware will support the app or not. The upgrade took no time. After that, I downloaded the Windows Virtual PC w/ XP Mode package. Prior to installing, I had to enable hardware virtualization, which was the hardest part. The install was easy, you just have to decide how much RAM you want to "lend" the VM while in use. It performs better than any VM that I've ever used. You get a copy of XP Pro SP3 with the package. You must install your programs and your AV of choice inside of it. The reason for this thread: There's a lot of Windows 7 users that has older programs and printers (some very expensive) that won't work with 7. This program allows you to run these apps with no problems, even some of those 16 bit programs. This is Microsoft's answer for businesses to move to Windows 7 and their apps work, it is there for us, too. I guess the reason they want you to step up to Pro is for the money, you can enable your hardware for free. So if there's any of you with an app you need for your work, school, or have an expensive printer or other hardware that ran perfectly with XP, but now it doesn't, here is the answer. A last point to mention: On a 64 bit system, you need 3GB RAM (or more), a 32 bit system needs 2GB RAM (or more). This is so your host OS and your VM will run properly. You can visit the Windows Virtual PC site for further info and a scan to see if you can benefit from it. Hopefully, this app can resolve some of the issues that members here are having with their older programs and external hardware (printers, cameras, etc.)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
An addition to this thread. Microsoft recently "lifted" the hardware assisted requirement to run this program. You still must run Pro or above. If your processor doesn't meet the requirements to do so (many older ones, even some newer Intel ones) doesn't meet it. Most AMD ones, except Sempron, meets the requirements. There is a separate update to cover this issue. In order to obtain Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode & the updates, your system must validate first, meaning that you're running genuine Windows. Hopefully, some will see and benefit from this program. It's not perfect, but we don't live in a perfect world. Users who cannot afford newer hardware, and some software, can benefit greatly from this program.

Ask a Question