Windows 7 several BSOD --- NTOSKRNL.EXE

Reaction score
Oh well, and another BSOD... :(
I believe this might be a hardware conflict, and/or faulty/missing hardware driver.
The stacktrace point to hal.dll (Hardware Abstraction Layer library)

Of course, it could be virtually almost *everything else* as well, but u gotta start somewhere..

By far - the most important drivers is the chipset drivers. Be absolutely sure you have the latest and correct drivers for your motherboard installed.

Run (WinKey + R) msinfo32 and browse for any conflicting hardware, especially the IRQ, I/O and DMA section and make sure they're all OK, and no "conflict/error".

Shintaro

Reaction score
I don't think that missing drivers cause:

===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ 8c644024
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id : 01cdc4437a4606f9
Severity : Fatal (1)
Length : 928
Creator : Microsoft
Notify Type : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp : 11/16/2012 21:44:02
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0 : Processor Generic
Descriptor @ 8c6440a4
Section @ 8c64417c
Offset : 344
Length : 192
Flags : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity : Fatal

Proc. Type : x86/x64
Instr. Set : x86
Error Type : Micro-Architectural Error
Flags : 0x00
CPU Version : 0x0000000000000f29
Processor ID : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor @ 8c6440ec
Section @ 8c64423c
Offset : 536
Length : 128
Flags : 0x00000000

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id : 29 0f 00 00 09 08 02 00 - 00 44 00 00 ff fb eb bf
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0 @ 8c64423c

Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor @ 8c644134
Section @ 8c6442bc
Offset : 664
Length : 264
Flags : 0x00000000

Error : Internal timer (Proc 0 Bank 0)

Reaction score
Hi there,

So Shintaro, I did everything you've said in this post:

Please download and install HWMonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmon...5-setup-en.exe

In HWMonitor
Tools -> Start recording

Run Prime 95 (See Post #3)
Then Tools -> Stop recording
Zip the logs and post them please.

*Possibly* the Power supply might be faulty.
But can't get any log for HWMonitor though. When I stopped recording, HWMonitor stopped responding and, after waiting a few minutes, I killed the process to try and get the log. Unfortunately, only thing in logs folder is an empty bmp file (0 bytes). Results.txt from Prime95 follow as an attachment.

While doing all these tests, again, computer didn't freezed or crashed.

Fluke78, thanks for your help too. I believe I have the correct chipset drivers and motherboard drivers, the guy who installed Windows 7 in my computer is a *pro* and I've watched him doing all the research for drivers and updates for my hardware.
Nonetheless, tomorrow I will start to take one thing off, one by one, starting with the network adapter, which I recently bought (about a month ago) and start using the onboard net adapter, to test if I have no BSOD's then.

But I must say, my power supply must be really faulty, because as I've said in one of my early posts, when I press the on/off button, it doen't work at all, it does nothing, when it should turn off the computer right away (note that I'm not talking about the power button in the front). Don't know if this can be the cause of all these BSOD's though.

I'll get back here tomorrow. Thanks again, both of you.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
And another one, now without Asus network card and without Creative sound card (using onboard network and sound).

I think this excludes them of being the cause of it all

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just to be clear, pulling out a card does not remove it's drivers from your system, they could still be in there causing issues unless you also uninstalled them.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, so what I am trying to prove is that the voltages drop when the power supply is under pressure.
Are you able to watch the voltages (3V, 5V and 12V) whilst running Prime95?

Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan, I've just uninstalled Creative and Realtek drivers. Or at least I think so, I've removed everything Creative and Realtek related from Control Panel. I wasn't aware that I had to do this, I thought that without the cards, these drivers and things related wouldn't be "called", and also because they didn't appear in device manager.

Shintaro, how can I do that or how do I manage to do that (watch the voltages)? By suggestion of a friend, I've been running Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and MemTest from hcidesign, as apparently ntoskrnl.exe BSOD has it's origin in one of these components (hard drive or ram). But both programs ran out just fine, no problems detected. So, I'm really thinking that the problem may be on the power supply, as you've also suggested. I will be monitoring how computer behaves today (as I have a new fact to control, the uninstalled drivers as TrainableMan warned) and see how it goes.

Thanks, both of you, I'll get back later.

Cheers

Shintaro

Reaction score
Are you able to change the crash dumps to "Full Memory" dump?

Do you have more than 2Gb of free space on your hard drive?

Are you able to upload the full memory dump, after zipping it up, to somewhere like www.mediafire.com?

Reaction score
Are you able to change the crash dumps to "Full Memory" dump?
How do I do that?

Do you have more than 2Gb of free space on your hard drive?
Yes, I have around 60Gb free in my C (OS) partition.

Are you able to upload the full memory dump, after zipping it up, to somewhere like www.mediafire.com?
Sorry, I'm not a pro so same question, how do I do that? Do you mean by that zip all the dmp files that I have in the Minidump folder?

Also, you've said earlier something about the voltages,
Shintaro said:
Ok, so what I am trying to prove is that the voltages drop when the power supply is under pressure.
Are you able to watch the voltages (3V, 5V and 12V) whilst running Prime95?
How do I manage to do that?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Start Menu -> Right Click on "Computer" -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> "Advanced" Tab -> "Startup and Recovery" Settings button.

"Write Debuging information" -> "Full Memory Dump".
Reboot.

Let us know if you are able to complete that.

Reaction score
Hi there,

Tired, completely tired of getting BSOD/freezes/crashes all the time (3 in the last six hours), I've switched my Power Supply with an old one that I had around. I'll see how it behaves now.

In the meanwhile, yes, I was able to switch the crash dumps to "Full Memory Dump". I could not miss that, as you've explained all the steps very well :)
If you still want to, I can upload the full memory dump to mediafire.

Thanks again,

Cheers

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
yes upload it and post the link so it's here next time Shintaro stops in

Reaction score
Hi there,

Since my last intervention here on the forum (remember that I've had switched my power supply with an old one - same features), I've had another BSOD/freeze.

So I took one dimm out, to test (at this point, it could be anything, in my point of view).
Another BSOD/freeze.

So, I switched the remaining dimm with the one I had took out earlier.
And today, you're right.., another BSOD/freeze.

Here it is the full memory dump (I'm assuming that, for full memory dump, we're talking about the Memory.dmp file +/- 200Mb located in the Windows folder, right?): http://www.mediafire.com/?c2zxirqfkei2gqj

Thanks, both of you.

Cheers

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please remove CCC (Catalyst Control Center) and only install the drivers.

While the procedure below may appear daunting, just follow it one step at a time and it'll work for you. If you have any questions, just post them in the forums and we'll be glad to provide assistance.

NOTE: If you already have the ATI drivers installed, please use the Catalyst Uninstall Manager (in Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program) to remove all of the ATI video driver components. Be careful as you may uninstall AMD chipset drivers also - which will then require reinstalling them!. Here's a link from AMD about removing graphics drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...csDrivers.aspx

1. Download the latest version of the Catalyst Software Suite from http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx .
  2. Double click on the downloaded executable file (it's name will look something like this: 12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe ).
  3. The installation will first stop at a screen which notes where the installation folder is (in my case it's: C:\AMD\Support\12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc ). Please make a note where this folder is located as you'll use it later on to install the drivers. Then click on Next/Install to continue with the installation.
  4. The installer then extracts the files to that folder and then launches the AMD Catalyst Install Manager. Click on "Cancel", then click on "Yes" to exit the AMD Catalyst Install Manager.
  5. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter when devmgmt.msc shows up at the top of the search box.
  6. In Device Manager, click on the +/> sign next to Display adapters.
  7. Right click on the display adapter and select "Update Driver Software".
  8. Select "Browse my computer for driver software. Locate and install driver software manually."
  9. Type (or paste) the location of the installation folder that you remembered from Step 3 (in my case it's: C:\AMD\Support\12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc ) into the search box and ensure that "Include subfolders" is checked - then click on "Next" in the lower right corner.
  10. Drivers will install (and screen may go black temporarily). System will then show a window that states "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" Click on "Close" in the lower right corner of the window (Screen may again go black temporarily).
  11. And you're done!!!

NOTE: If it says that the most current drivers are already installed - go back and uninstall all ATI video stuff (be careful as you may uninstall AMD chipset drivers also - which will then require reinstalling them!). Then run the procedure from Step 5 again (the new directory from Step 3 should still be there).

Shintaro

Reaction score
So I am wondering if the power supply was the problem. And there was an additional problem of CCC (Catalyst Control Center).

Let us know how you go.

Ask a Question