SOLVED Windows 7 Service packs

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I reverted back to RTM Windows 7. I had no problems at all with it, just wanted to see how well it ran and such.

Used Acronis True Image to get back the original OS, took about 6 minutes using the Acronis Recovery Boot CD. I'm glad I have all this external storage.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Me too, you cannot have enough external storage. I like the WD & Seagate's versions of Acronis, they are simple to use, and effective. The best free backup out there (well, not exactly free, you do have to have the proper device to do the install with.) But what I don't get, is I have both devices, yet I can only install one of the versions on my system. I install one, the other is removed, even though both drives are plugged in.

What's up with that? Many users have more than one external drive on hand.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Cat wrote
you cannot have enough external storage
Agree %100 if anyone is serious about there computing external storage is a must have !

Reaction score
Also agree about the external storage. I just don't have the cash for it so I do without.

I have my music collection which is 75 GB and I'd be devastated to lose, backed up to a netbook. And my tools collection of 11 GB is backed up to my other machine downstairs.

As far as the OS is concerned, only because I don't have the space, I consider that expendable. But it would still really not be so nice to lose it for any reason.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Another in agreement here with the external dubris stuff. Basically, when the shirt hits the fan, I do a full system re-install that consists of (obviously) 7, Photoshop, Office. That's (nearly) it. A few progs that aren't "Stand-Alone" required as well, otherwise everything else is on separate drives. All I need to do is open C:\ after re-install and copy/paste my "C:\ Starter Package" folder into it, then hit/merge half a dozen .reg files (and now a .cmd file thanks to Clifford), replace imageres.dll with my modded version and it's virtually instant "back to how you were" two hours ago

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat wrote Agree %100 if anyone is serious about there computing external storage is a must have !
That's so right, and until a year or so ago, I had no backup plan, other than a XP Pro reinstall disc. They were included with the Dell computers that was shipped with it. You don't even have to enter a serial, I guess it works the same as the recovery partitions do, you don't enter a serial with it, either.

I tried backing up with CD's before, using XP's backup system. But I must have done something wrong, because it never worked right for me. Too, it wasn't the best plan there was to begin with. The one that ships with 7, I've backed up with it, and recovered with it. Now I have backup programs everywhere, along with a couple of drives.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Many users have more than one external drive on hand.
I have three for a total of 1.62 TB! Darn!

My FLAC music files take up 320 GB alone! :thrasher::rock:

Reaction score
I'd like to have the simplest of backup program that you could boot from a disk without loading your O/S and could just do a complete mirror copy of one drive to another.
I know mirror RAID is supposed to do that but I'd never had success with it when the time came that I actually needed it.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Dragging the thread back to the title (again).
Nibiru:
Like yourself, I uninstalled the Sp again. One thing I did notive was that the test in the desktop icons appeared to be much clearer/sharper. On uninstallation, , the improvement has remained???

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed some increased contrast and sharpness too. I didn't do the uninstall though, I just used Acronis to put back the original backup image I had stored on my 500GB Samsung external drive in my JBOD case.

I am still working on a tutorial to "slipstream" the SP1 into the ISO image install of Windows 7, finally found a program that will do it. vLite and it's developer stopped at Vista SP1, he didn't even support Vista SP2.

It will take another week or so, but I've begun and started getting some screen and window captures to add to the tutorial. I just ask everyone to be patient.

As the Chinese proverb states: Half of the thousand mile journey is completed in the first step.

Ask a Question