Windows 7 freezes on HD 500 GB Toshiba Satellite A205

Reaction score
I'm back again in save mode. Malware software found Reg tool as a malware in D drive. I removed it, and booted up in normal mode, but after 2 minutes it froze again.

Reaction score
What you should really do is backup the other partitions to another drive or alternate media and then use Kill Disk to wipe the whole drive to make it clean fresh.

I think you're getting problems from malware and this is really the only way to go about things.

Clonezilla is an easy and free to use backup utility.

Reaction score
I'm back once again in save mode. I killed the whole disk and during partition of the disk with the Windows 7 DVD, it froze twice. I tried with another Windows 7 dvd, but I got 3 freezing in the process while installing in both Windows 64 bits and 32 bits. I installed it finally and it has frozen twice already, that's why I had to come in save mode. I think I give up. I have so much to do and I cannot continue trying. To me this is crazy. I could install it once, and it worked for me one month and a half.
I really want to thank you TorrentG for your time and help, but I think, if there's nothing else I could do, I will just stick to Window XP on this 500 GB HD. I need a big hard drive inside to work better on the go. Let me know if there's still anything I could do.

Reaction score
Wow, well you give me some hope. I checked online and I see a BIOS update for Toshiba Satellite A205-S4578, I wonder if I should download it and install it. I've heard that it's very dangerous to update the BIOS. What do you say?

Reaction score
Wow, well you give me some hope. I checked online and I see a BIOS update for Toshiba Satellite A205-S4578, I wonder if I should download it and install it. I've heard that it's very dangerous to update the BIOS. What do you say?
Cool, yes install it. Latest bios is always good. It's not dangerous to install as long as you follow the instructions well.

While doing so, make sure the laptop is plugged into the wall securely. Make sure there is no risk of power failure from a circuit blowing etc...

Other than that, there's not very much that can go wrong.

Latest bios is recommended because manufacturers update the code and many times, there are undocumented changes that are included that are very helpful to whatever situation.

Reaction score
Well TorrentG, I'm sorry to tell you that the bios doesn't have that option you say, and I updated the BIOS with the latest and yes, now it has another Toshiba logo. I tried installing Win 7 64 bits, and then it froze 2 times after installation, then I formatted it and installed Win 7 32 bits. It worked longer without any crash than Win 7 64 bits, and I thought the problem was gone. I almost installed all the drivers.. and in the last Toshiba installer assistant, it started downloading the other drivers, and it froze twice. I don't know, is it all that can be done? should I give up?

Reaction score
You could try removing the battery as a test to see how it goes. Run it plugged into the wall. I surely don't mind trying to solve this at all. It's up to you I suppose on what to do.

When you say it freezes, does it become totally unresponsive? Does the blue circle come on the screen and rotate? Can you still move the mouse at all?

Reaction score
well, as long as I'm in the desk, I always remove the battery. What I mean by freezing is that the mouse doesn't move at all...the computer stops working

Reaction score
ok, I think I'm going to close this forum... I couldn't install windows 7 on my laptop Toshiba A205-S4578. I thank you TorrentG for your help, I need to get my computer working, I've tried everything I could, and nothing... I give up. Thank you a lot

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Please clear something up for me if you're still around GPorras. Was your DVD obtained at a retail place or did you download the ISO and burn it yourself? I'm going back to reread everything to see if I can find the answer.:)

Reaction score
Hi there... well, I downloaded an ISO file and I burnt it myself. But I tried also with somebody else's copy which was also a downloaded version, and he had used it before, that's why it was strange to me that it didn't work on my laptop. I never tried to install it on the smaller HD, I don't know if it has anything to do with the hd or with the laptop. What remains strange to me, is that I used the same copy in November, and I could work for a month and a half, full throttle editing videos, no crashes whatsoever, till I installed the synchronizer for my palm Tungsten C, then I thought that the two programs couldn't work together, and then my problem began. Maybe something else happened at that time, but that's the only thing I remember.

Reaction score
If you have obtained your Window(s) copy(ies) from anywhere other than official source, this might be a cause of problems.
Please clear something up for me if you're still around GPorras. Was your DVD obtained at a retail place or did you download the ISO and burn it yourself? I'm going back to reread everything to see if I can find the answer.:)
Based on these posts, I really think your problems have a lot to do with your obtained copies of Windows. Those torrents are littered with malware-ridden copies. Not all but lots are not good.

Reaction score
Hello GPorras,
Have you checked compatibility?
Just an FYI for you.
It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".
There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!
As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software"
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Reaction score
Hi guys. first post and already asking for help, sorry about that. i figured i wouldnt waste time with a thread that is very similar to this one so i posted it here. im having a pretty similar problem. i posted this on yahooanswers today and got nothing so maybe you guys can help me out.

Ok, ill try to be as detailed as possible. Ive got a computer science degree and this is killing me. the computer is 5 seconds from the window.

its an HP Pavilion TVPC (Desktop):
500GB HDD
Upgraded Power Supply
Upgraded Nvidia GForce 9600GSO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.80GHz
3GB DDR2 RAM
Dual Display
1.5TB Western Digital External Hard Drive

Side Notes:
-the Ethernet port is hard wired into my laptop which has a bridged internet connection. so its sharing its wireless signal with my desktop.
-updates and runs newest version of AVG once a day and has never found anything more than a tracking cookie (to my knowledge)

so its been going on for a bout a month now. originally i was running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit. tons of things installed, lots of programs running. and the computer would just randomly freeze up. it was a strange freeze. the screen wouldnt lock. i could move the mouse, itunes music would continue to play. it was just the active window would go into (not responding). if i switched to another window, it would go not responding too. if i sat around for a few minutes it would clear itself up and i could work for another 20 minutes or so and it would happen again.

things i tried:
-first i tried CCleaner. (no help)
-next i decided to upgrade the OS. i had been meaning to upgrade to 64-Bit anyway, so i installed it (without formatting the HDD). i ran into a problem where after the first time i restarted i got a blinking white cursor on a black screen. windows wouldn't start.
-i installed 7 ultimate 64-bit again. the install worked but i was still having the same problems as before even though i had next to no programs installed/running (mainly just Firefox, iTunes, and AIM)
-I decided that it might be something on the drive (in the windows.old files that were created by installing the new OS without formatting)
-lastly i backed up my files from the windows.old folders onto my external hard drive.
-i formatted and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Ive been using it for about a week now and still running into the same problems.

when it happens, it feels like it used to on my old computer which would run out of memory or have too many things going on for the processor to handle. but that shouldnt happen on this computer with 3GB RAM and a dual core processor.

im leaning towards a hardware problem, but i cant begin to think what it would be. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to this great web forum.

As I understand it you're now running XP and want 7. What you can do is use Killdisk to erase the drive and then install Windows 7. This assures no malware or other problems can find their way into your new 7 install when you do so. When you run into problems after, please follow the sticky in this section of the forum on how I can help you.

http://www.killdisk.com/

https://www.w7forums.com/ask-assistance-bsod-alleviation-t5940.html
Thanks for the link about Killdisk, TorrentG. I've been looking for an effective way to erase all info that has been disposed of for a while, without messing up my installs. I've formatted, installed Linux discs across the drive, then reinstalled Windows, and still can find shreds of files from prior to my purchase of the notebook. Hopefully, once and for all, I can keep my drive clean like new.

Cat

Reaction score
You're very welcome Catilley1092.

VKeeper42, welcome to the site. In any case where there is a problem on a pc...any problem...and AVG is present, I always advise to remove AVG. This has a much greater success rate than 50% of the cases. Last year, I'd say about 80% or higher.

Please use the special tool found at the following link to do so. Then install MSE as a replacement as it never causes bsods and is very resource friendly, unlike AVG.

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reaction score
can do, though i havent installed AVG since the original problem on the 32-bit W7. ive also never had a BSOD, its just hang ups on the active window. (not responding) stuff with the spinning blue circle.

Reaction score
Cool. Let us know how it goes after AVG removal.

Two further things I can advise.

1) Ensure your video card driver is updated from NVIDIA.com or game.amd.com, depending on your card.

2) Type msinfo32 in the start menu and hit enter. Ctrl + S to save the file. Then rar or zip the saved file and attach to a post. I can get a detailed look at the system's drivers, services, errors, and many other things. Many times, I'm able to bring attention to possible causes of issues this way.

Reaction score
Problem solved - it was a motherboard problem

I know this thread is very, very old, but I wanted to let you guys know that the problem was solved. It was a hardware problem, the laptop was brought to a technician, and he had to fix the motherboard and since I didn't bring it on time, the processor was burnt.. but it's now ok, running on windows 7
Thank you guys so much for your help....

Ask a Question