Windows 7 64b and Bluetooth keyboard issue. How to solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Agreed, gents. I need to keep in mind the audience that are asking questions.

You are absolutely correct, a driver update may make the system worse and it may need to be re-installed but at least it still functions. Whereas, a failed BIOS update has the potential to "Brick" the system.

I will be more conservative on BIOS updates suggestions.

One thing that I would ask people to keep in mind is that the increase in motherboard functionality (On board: Bluetooth, Lan, Audio, Video, RAID, USB 3.0) must be having an effect on system problems.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I noted above concerning the BIOS update,
That is something I would wait for, until other options have been tried and eliminated.
Also, it should be pointed out that Bluetooth, even if integrated, typically goes through a USB hub and interface, and therefore, requires OS drivers - not motherboard drivers. And I note in the link above to the ASUS downloads page you will see updated Bluetooth drivers for Windows.

If the hardware/motherboard can communicate through the USB port, the problem is with the Bluetooth device or that device's driver. Not the motherboard. This is why you rarely see Bluetooth, except perhaps enable/disable the integrated device, in a BIOS Setup Menu.

As for this Bluetooth as integrated into this motherboard, note it is Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR. That version went final in 2007 - plenty of time to get the drivers right.

As for it it's not broke, don't fix it, I understand what you are saying. But, there is a difference between (1) performing regular updates and maintenance, and (2) fixing something that has already broken. Flashing a BIOS is much more involved than updating a driver file. You typically can "roll-back" or even uninstall a driver completely and start over, should something go wrong. Not the case with BIOS flashing. Rolling back, if possible, can be just as risky. Most BIOS updates (except for brand new boards) simply add support - usually for newer CPUs.

I will be more conservative on BIOS updates suggestions
Since there are times when a BIOS update is appropriate, I would just suggest adding some warnings and cautions of the risks when you do.

That said, this particular motherboard uses UEFI BIOS - which is much more forgiving than the old type.

Last edited:

sad

Reaction score
definitely windows 7 problem or Atheros drivers problem (or both)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question