SOLVED Which sound card wou you recommend for a MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
longwolfmage has a good point hes correct with hearing the system 2 to 3 houses away :) .. hes correct it was a 5.x system

Reaction score
lonewolfmage has a good point hes correct with hearing the system 2 to 3 houses away :) .. hes correct it was a 5.x system

Fixed it for ya Simon ;)

[sarcasm}Get it right next time[/sarcasm] LOL (just messin cause I can ;)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
^^^+1

I've yet to see my RAM usage over 2.5 GB. My RAM usage is generally under 1.5 GB. I don't see buying rent houses when no one uses the address.
I concur Cliff! Buying unnecessary RAM is a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY AND RESOURCES!!

I liken buying too much RAM to the great battleship builds of the early 20th Century, first one country would build one with 10" guns, then the other would build one with 12" guns, then another with 14" guns, then another with 16" guns and so on and so forth.

It is merely to soothe the ego of the owner, so to speak, such as: My Johnson is bigger than yours! LOL! :D :eek: :rolleyes:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Once again, that depends on what you need the extra RAM for. If you run XP Mode (or most any Windows VM), the more RAM that you can lend, the better. The VM will run more like a installed OS, if you have at least 2 to 2.5GB to spare.

Also, 64 bit VM's require 2GB to run, just as any 64 bit OS does. I tried running XP Pro 64 bit, lending 1.75GB to it, it ran like crap. If I were able to give it 2.25GB, it would probably be OK. My next notebook will have 6GB preinstalled, so this should no longer be an issue.

There's also the "future proof" option to consider, once more software writers makes more 64 bit code programs (as 32 bit ones are trashed), more RAM will be needed. Who knows what additional RAM will cost by then? I can only assume that it'll be market based, meaning that if there are more demands for it, the cost will go up, just like anything else does.

And too, I agree with you, there's always the "my thing is bigger than yours" philosophy, that's always been in place. We could debate that issue over many things. Who really needs a 10,000 square foot home, with a workout room & a spa? I don't, but some feels as though they do.

If I had the cash to spare, and the slots for it, I'd have 16GB installed RAM. But I have neither.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Cat you are an anomaly in the Windows environment for sure. Less than 1/10 of 1% of users use the VM feature with any regularity. For your use, then more RAM may be necessary.

However, with most end-users who boast of 12, 16 or more GB of RAM, it's mostly ego that's involved, pure and simple.

RAM is priced as a commodity-based item. Same as corn, wheat and pork-belly futures. Law of supply and demand strictly.

6 GB is plenty for the vast majority of users, if one has the option of purchasing more RAM or upgrading to a high-end better graphics card; then I would recommend getting the video card.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do agree with you on that. As far as the XP Mode app goes, it would solve many threads that has been presented on this forum. Especially those who wants to run older apps/hardware that 7 cannot run.

In fact, the easy Anytime Upgrade option to Pro will be purchased with my new notebook, along with a cooling pad & a HDD enclosure that supports USB 3.0 (it has no eSATA, had to compromise at my price range). I'm just waiting on my refund for my old one, which should happen within a couple of business days.

I've decided on MSI, you get a lot of bang for the buck spent. The one on my "wish list" at Newegg is the one that costs $749, the one that's $799 has lower video scores with PassMark.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Currently the sound card is a non-issue as new MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard ans Ropjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL ram kit won't even let computer power on. I've been using my SLOW eMachines Vista Ultimate pc all weekend.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Are you sure the RAM sticks are the issue here?

Have you configured your RAM in the BIOS in the motherboard?

Did you consult the motherboard manual for any help?

Did you double-check the power cable connections and the front panel switch wire connections on the motherboard? If the switch connections are not connected properly it won't power up, check the + and - positions. Usually it's the white wires on front panel connections that are the negative side.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SOLVED.Nibs. Got it going. sata ports !7 @ were wonky. Plugged both hard drive in ports 5 & 6 last night configured the bios. Shut it down, rehooked hd's to ports 1 & 2 and it worked and is working now.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Working with new motherboards can be VERY frustrating!

I know from experience.

Glad you got it all working and things are fine now.

Reaction score
Actually the Realtek sound on the MSI board is alot better sounding than the Realtek sound on the old ECS board. Don't think a X-Fi or Xonar is going to be coming my way. Some Logitech or Corsair 2.1's probably will, though.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Just about anything works better if it's NOT ON AN ECS board! LOL!

ECS boards are amongst the worst motherboards on the market.

When I worked for Fry's Electronics from 2003 thru 2006, the return rate on ECS motherboards averaged about 55-60%!! Not too good huh?

That's why I always recommend that people can't go wrong if they buy from one of the top three motherboard manufacturers; ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. Asrock and Biostar are pretty decent boards too.

Reaction score
Yeah, I basically got the ECS as a learning experience as it was the first mobo I ever installed. I'd rather go cheap on learning. I put it in back in the end of August. I also got a Phenom 2 920 the same time I got it, That board and the 920 are goona go in another Tempest case I have and basically just be a backup pc for this one. This one's psu is eventually going in that one too. I did a rush job wiring job on the ECS board. This one, I took about 2+ hours wiring and there's one huge flaw with this psu in this case. The 8 pin power cable isn't long enough to mount under the motherboard tray. Therefore it has to be routed around my video card, just below my heat-sink then routed in between the back panel and mosfets and it barely make's it and looks terrible, especially with all the led's on the board.
eSATA sure does work better/faster on this board. Though, I heard there was a problem with AMD's 790 series chipset pertaining to eSATA. The MSI boards Realtek HD has all the same settings as my other board, but the difference is like night & day. That's with both set to 24 bit192,000 Studio Settings which appear to be the highest setting. I'm waiting for the Corsair SP2500 to be out a little bit longer. Maximum PC did a good review on them a few issues back. They said they'reextremely loud, but wonder how long they'll last. I figure by October, we'll probably here if any problems arise from them. If all's good, I'm getting them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question