What's your REAL WEI Score?

Reaction score
Nice I have been reaserching in order to get 7.9 across the board one would have to obtain the max for every aspect a MOBO with 4 slots filled with 4G sticks, a HDD with search speed of 2 or 3, a vid card with minimum 1G GPU and 1024MB, Proc should be 3.2Ghz dual ro quad.... I am actually gonna settle on getting me one of those 6 cores in augest or OCT when Intel realeses them....... it was funny I just started for a nice computer to use for school now im trying to play the score game with microsoft......

Might even call them and build the computer off of thier specs for a 7.9 rating
Sounds like its going to cost a fair bit

Reaction score
file:///C:/Users/andy/Pictures/wei1.JPG

crazy figures jumped to these when i installed a new nvidia 9800gt on my Acer desktop

Reaction score
Crazy figures mine jumped up when i installed a new 9800gt display card on my acer

Attachments

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
How 'bout that average, firepin? Heh, it's 6.3 on the dot! The second highest score here! :D:D Welcome to the forums, too. :ciao:

Reaction score
OK new egg being a prick I will try to do it later if I have time between school asssigmments, but the proc and mobo and power supply all costing about 735$ makes me think I can build one for around 1600$ and get a 7.9 or closer I just dont know about the i7 cores and thier rating wish MS had a list of hardware vs score....

Reaction score
If you're shooting for the highest possible WEI, that will be done with a Core i7.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yes, most definitely. You could go and steal Kougars 4.2GhZ... :lol:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I know right!!! I think I'll message him and tell him we want to see him!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
WEI Score Info

Something I should point out is that the WEI index has changed since Vista, not only has the maximum score been increased but the scales used to rate components have changed, so the scores generated in Vista are not directly comparable to those in Windows 7. Scores generated in Windows 7 Beta are not directly comparable to those generated in Windows 7 RC either. For those curious to know Vista caps the scores to a maximum of 5.9, and Windows 7 caps the WEI scores to 7.9.

WEI scores are not arbitrary numbers based on the amount of system RAM, GPU RAM, or hard drive size, although these can help influence the score indirectly. Larger mechanical HDD's will on average outperform smaller capacity drives, for one example. Performance of these components is going to have the largest impact on the score, although obviously a Quadcore will be needed to gain the highest CPU scores, and having just 1GB of system RAM just isn't going to perform very well either.

For those no doubt wishing to know the details: Here's the breakdown regarding the Windows Experience Index score Engineering the Windows 7 “Windows Experience Index”

There was also an update on how the GPU scores are computed and some further changes to HDD index scores have been made, which I'll paste below:

In Windows 7, there are new random read, random write and flush assessments. Better SSDs can score above 6.5 all the way to 7.9. To be included in that range, an SSD has to have outstanding random read rates and be resilient to flush and random write workloads.

In the Beta timeframe of Windows 7, there was a capping of scores at 1.9, 2.9 or the like if a disk (SSD or HDD) didn’t perform adequately when confronted with our random write and flush assessments. Feedback on this was pretty consistent, with most feeling the level of capping to be excessive. As a result, we now simply restrict SSDs with performance issues from joining the newly added 6.0+ and 7.0+ ranges. SSDs that are not solid performers across all assessments effectively get scored in a manner similar to what they would have been in Windows Vista, gaining no Win7 boost for great random read performance. Source
Since everyone seems to want to see my score (and a certain someone PM'd me for it) with a 4.2GHz Core i7 920, well here it is:

Believe it or not a 4.2GHz Core i7 920 is not fast enough to get the maximum 7.9 score. ;) Also my RAM was only scoring a 7.8 until I tightened the timings and tuned my system to eke out that 7.9, so triple channel 1600MHz CAS 7 memory is the benchmark for the memory index score . My GTX 260 is the base model, not a Core 216 or a highly clocked card so I'm sure a GTX 285 would at least make 7.0.

Apparently my 4.2GHz Quadcore almost meets the criteria for an 8-core PC. :D

As examples, we anticipate many quad core processors will be able to score in the high 6 to low 7 ranges, and 8 core systems to be able to approach 7.9. The scoring has taken into account the very latest micro-processors available.
If anyone is dying to know I'll run the overclock to 4.4GHz and see if that gets a 7.9 or not. A bit more practical solution for raising my score, is that I've been planning a major SSD upgrade once the second generation of Intel SSDs are launched in the coming months.

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
a 6.88! Very nice! And thanks for postin! :D I owe you one! :lol:

Reaction score
Yea but a i7, should I jsut wait till the 6 core is out or do a quad or dual
???

Reaction score
I just moved me "real" score to a 6.7 as my 8800GTS shoved off yesterday, and I replaced it with a GTX 275. I should pop my SSD into my PC, align my partitions and go for a 6.5-7 on disk transfer. ;D

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Nice!! I might be getting a 9800 GTX+ in a few days, so I'm pretty excited about that! And possibly a Phenom x4 940... so we'll see how that works. :D:D

Reaction score
It's been over a year since anyone has posted. I think I will bump this old thread and see what Windows Experience Index everyone now has.

System Specs:
  • Core2 Quad Q9400 - OC'd from 2.66 to 3.6
  • OCZ Gold 2x2GB PC2-6400 - OC'd just a tad to hold a 1:1 ratio with OC'd system bus
  • Radeon HD 4350 512MB
  • Seagate 500GB 7200.12

I think it's easy to see what my next upgrade will be. :)

My average score is 6.04

P.S.
I'm not really upgrading because of these scores. I find them to be a poor design for system benchmarks. However they can give a general idea as to how the system is configured for performance.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's been over a year since anyone has posted. I think I will bump this old thread and see what Windows Experience Index everyone now has.

System Specs:
  • Core2 Quad Q9400 - OC'd from 2.66 to 3.6
  • OCZ Gold 2x2GB PC2-6400 - OC'd just a tad to hold a 1:1 ratio with OC'd system bus
  • Radeon HD 4350 512MB
  • Seagate 500GB 7200.12

I think it's easy to see what my next upgrade will be. :)

P.S.
I'm not really upgrading because of these scores. I find them to be a poor design for system benchmarks. However they can give a general idea as to how the system is configured for performance.

lol 3.7 ;)

this is my updated score, with the new parts that i got recently:

kougars earlier post about "tightening up" and doing the timings on his ram has me interested ; how would one go about doing that?
( i hate how HDDs are limited to 5.9, even my velociraptor is limited to that :/ )

Ask a Question