SOLVED What would do?

Reaction score
I may be trying to installing XP mode on a laptop, that is not up to the requirements. I have Lenovo ThinkPad. Intel i3-2328M 2.20 Ghz, 4.0 GB, 3.03 GB usable RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit service pack 1, with 446 GB Hard drive with 382 free. This computer is on a home network with one other laptop with Win 7 32 bit, one desktop with Win 7 Pro 64 bit, and my desktop with Vista. The Vista has the network printer, a wide format Epson printer for printing up to 17 x 22 C drawings. I also have an old XP laptop with AutoCad. I have used AutoCad on the old XP and print the drawings to the network printer. The old XP is on its last days. The only program that I want to install on XP mode is AutoCad LT 2000.

When I install the XP mode, I installed trial version of AVG it took a very long time to download. Then I updated virus definition it took well over one hour to update. I went to update Windows XP mode. After three hours it had not even found any items to update. When I look at the "Task Manager" XP mode performance it shows CPU usage at 100% and Physical Memory Usage 316 MB +/- without any programs open. In the Application "svchost.exe" system CPU is between 97 to 99. I can still open AutoCad in XP mode, and it works, but no printer. However on the host computer the CUP usage is 1% to 160%, Physical Memory is up to 150. Epson Workforce has printer drivers for XP 32 bit. I download drivers onto the XP mode desk top, but not loaded. Epson drivers loaded on host are Win 7 64 bit.

Now what would you do? First my desktop is using Vista, should I update to 7 Pro and use virtual PC it. Second should I fight the laptop with all issues I have. I am not the best at working on computers.

Reaction score
When I install the XP mode, I went to update Windows XP mode. After three hours it had not even found any items to update.
Just to let you know I did the same just last night. I'm suspecting it has something to do with Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP. But with that said I honestly don't know why.

On a side note, I have experienced slow Windows Updating through all Microsoft updates lately. For over a month, Windows Update for Windows 7 and Security Essentials have been extremely slow for me. And thats not to mention installing printers and checking printer update list has always been slow. For me it is not just XP Mode that is lacking, it is the whole update system.

Reaction score
I may be trying to installing XP mode on a laptop, that is not up to the requirements. I have Lenovo ThinkPad. Intel i3-2328M 2.20 Ghz, 4.0 GB, 3.03 GB usable RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit service pack 1, with 446 GB Hard drive with 382 free. This computer is on a home network with one other laptop with Win 7 32 bit, one desktop with Win 7 Pro 64 bit, and my desktop with Vista. The Vista has the network printer, a wide format Epson printer for printing up to 17 x 22 C drawings. I also have an old XP laptop with AutoCad. I have used AutoCad on the old XP and print the drawings to the network printer. The old XP is on its last days. The only program that I want to install on XP mode is AutoCad LT 2000.

When I install the XP mode, I installed trial version of AVG it took a very long time to download. Then I updated virus definition it took well over one hour to update. I went to update Windows XP mode. After three hours it had not even found any items to update. When I look at the "Task Manager" XP mode performance it shows CPU usage at 100% and Physical Memory Usage 316 MB +/- without any programs open. In the Application "svchost.exe" system CPU is between 97 to 99. I can still open AutoCad in XP mode, and it works, but no printer. However on the host computer the CUP usage is 1% to 160%, Physical Memory is up to 150. Epson Workforce has printer drivers for XP 32 bit. I download drivers onto the XP mode desk top, but not loaded. Epson drivers loaded on host are Win 7 64 bit.

Now what would you do? First my desktop is using Vista, should I update to 7 Pro and use virtual PC it. Second should I fight the laptop with all issues I have. I am not the best at working on computers.

Reaction score
I solved all the problems on my Laptop, and my AutoCad is working just great.

How I solved the issues.
# 1 Un-stalled XP Mode
# 2 called Lenovo and got new BOIS driver. Downloaded and installed new BOIS.
# 3 Boot into BOIS setup, and turn ON virtualization. This is a must.
See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
# 4 Re-stalled XP Mode
# 5 Started XP Mode.
# 6 (most important) Turn OFF Windows updates and leave it OFF. This is what was causing svchost.exe to use 100% of CPU. I found a number of issues on svchost.exe dating back to 2008. Also a large amount of fixes, some a great deal more involved than I wanted to deal with. The simple fix was turning off Microsoft up dates. All I can say it work on my laptop.
# 7 I down loaded the Free version of Avast Antivirus.
# 8 Downloaded 32 bit Printer drivers and installed. Some how it found the network printer on the laptop that prints to my desk top system printer. I did not network Virtual XP to the host.
# 9 I installed AutoCad LT 2000, and moved all my old drawings via a CD into the XP and all work great.