What is svchost.exe

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Note: you can actually click on the "CPU" column heading to sort the processes by CPU usage. It will change quite often that way but if you scroll to the top (or bottom if your click set it to reverse order) you will see the processes actually using the most CPU. When it slows your computer, those utilizing high CPU are the ones to see about removing or scheduling at other times.

Reaction score
svchost is a windows service - it is called by other programs so killing it does very little. You would need to find out what program is actually using it. Most likely it is your anti-virus software or google chrome, etc accessing the web for updates.
I've been running Chrome and my anti-virus since before WW 1 and it has only recently happened. Here's a screen with a large % svchost but what can I do apart from kill it? Should it be there???

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you see a high CPU like that one, right-click on it & choose PROPERTIES. Then select the SERVICES tab and post a screenshot of the Services that svchost is performing.

For example Service "Schedule" runs "Task Scheduler" which triggers things at predefined times such as maybe your virus scanner's weekly run.

For the most part, killing a svchost simply delays the action; it will usually restart.

Reaction score
The CPU being used is the green column, none of the SVCHOST entries in that picture show anything over 1% of your processor, so scroll down to find processes actually using significant amounts of CPU.
I can find all svchost threads/modules. call them what you will but I would have to kill them each time. How do I decide what to disable? All the 'answers' I've seen tell me what svchost does (not interested), how to look what is going on (yes, I can do this) but how do I stop svchost hanging around, occupying 40-50% CPU when it is doing nothing except hang about?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Svchost is part of your OS and it runs things for other programs. If you kill it, it will just restart. So that is not a solution. You need to find the specific instance that is hogging the CPU and then find out what program svchost is running in the background. Then that is the program you need to uninstall or alter it's settings.

The most common background CPU hogs are updates: windows updates, anti-virus software updates, google chrome updater.

So if Process explorer is not helping then consider another tool: CCleaner. When you install it watch the options; I am very careful to uncheck the AVAST software. Run CCleaner and go to the TOOLS tab, under that to the STARTUP tab. Post a screenshot of the programs in your startup because there is a good chance your troublemaker is in that list.

Reaction score
Disabled lots of things as advised but svchost still lingers but I THINK (cannot be sure) it happens less frequently.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would disable …
CCleaner Smart Cleaning … but that was just installed so wasn't your original issue.
HP Software Update Hewlett-Packard … this is an automatic updater from HP
Logitech Download Assistant … downloader for Logitech

Depends …
if you do not use your Sidebar apps you may choose to disable Microsoft Sidebar
if you do not care about Ink level notifications then you can disable HP Monitor Ink Alerts

I would NOT disable …
Realtek RTHDVCPL is related to your Audio

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
I've tried all ways suggested, including disabling nearly everything that doesn't look useful (Via CCleaner) to no effect. I am not clear as to how I decide when using process explorer EXACTLY what process/prog I should permanently disable and HOW? I can always kill svchost as it appears but that doesn't solve the issue. I use Malwarebytes Premium and have run Kaspersky Free and they find nothing untoward.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try uninstalling Kaspersky. Anti-Virus software is often a CPU hog. You can always reinstall it if it doesn't help. If it does help then find a different AV software.

Reaction score
Its already gone Trainable man but Malwarebytes Premim is still there and always has been before svchost started playing up. Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
I still need chapter and verse on solving this. I KNOW what svchost is and what it does but I simply want to know how to stop it lingering on after its job is done. Anyone else solved this and if so, please tell me the actual culprit so I can zap it.
Thanks

Ask a Question